View Single Post
Metal Guru

Garage
I've done it but no pictures.

The removal is in two phases: Above the engine tin and below.

The above portion is easy; cut the drive belt to the air pump and remove it. Then remove all the plumbing. I'm not sure about the 930 cat but on my 965 I already had removed the cat and just needed to find a fitting for the cat bypass air port. I found on on the internet. Also, there's a port coming off of the throttle body. I plugged mine with a simple cap I bought at the local auto parts store.

The under tin work is a little more challenging.

First remove the air distribution header from the injector fittings. Next, the injector fittings need to be removed from the heads. To do this, the left heat exchanger must be dropped, which means the whole exhaust system must be removed up to the crossover.

The best way to drop the heat exchanger is to heat each nut with an oxyacetylene torch to red hot and immediately turn the nut off. To get the nuts off while still extremely hot is a three handed job. Do not attempt to do this by yourself. Find a competent assistant (in my case my 17 year old son was competent enough to assist) and have an 13 mm swivel head socket and a 13 mm regular socket that you will have to cut down to get it to fit between the exchanger and the nut. You will also need a 10 inch extension that fits through the access hole in the heat exchanger. Failure to remove the nuts in this manner will result in multiple snapped studs, the purchase of a drill guide from A Quiet Boom for $150 and a two week delay (ask me how I know).

After you have dropped the heat exchanger, soak each air injection fitting with PB Blaster or Kroil overnight. If you don't use a good penetrant the fittings may gall as you back them out, destroying the thread in the head (once again, ask me how I know). Back them all out and plug with the Weltmeister kit plugs and torque them to 20 ft-lb so they don't back out.

Re-assemble the exhaust system and you are done. This job removes approximately 20 lb of dead weight from your car.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)