View Single Post

Man, I'm laughing my ass off here and not getting any work done today! These garage antics are just killing me, 'cause of course I've had my share.

On the topic of oil changing and the ultimate spills, I have sworn a blood oath to myself over the years to never spill a drop during routine oil changes. But for some reason - and it never FAILS - I always end up with oil down my arm, on the concrete, drop the drain plug into the murk. Never, in over 30 years of doing this, have I experienced a surgically-clean oil change. Never.....and it just baffles me.

Full-Quack's experience of being pinned beneath a 200 lb. tranny - while hilarious to read - was I'm sure a terrifying experience. Safety first, always have a spotter handy to rescue you. Of course, I can't say that I follow my own advice (witness: The time I had my thumb firmly trapped by the infamous Omega spring with no help in sight).

And on dropping the engine out; well, last winter I almost rolled the car by force of gravity through the garage door when I realized I didn't have the front wheels chocked well enough. With the car about a foot and half off the ground (I used a transmission scissor jack under each rear wheel to raise the car high enough to drop and slide the engine out the back) the car started rolling forward and the only thing stopping it was the rolled-down garage door. Just as the front bumper contacted the door, the car rolled off one of the scissor jacks and dropped onto the motor which had already been lowered onto my hydraulic ATV jack. So there I stood, with the car resting on the motor - with dire visions of huge dollar signs flashing through my mind. Well, no damage was done (other than a little engine tin being tweaked). Learn and let live. At least I wasn't under the car at the time!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)