View Single Post
Manassas, VA

Garage
Jon,
My intake studs were tight as well. I was thinking to myself, "What were they thinking when they ran these studs into the heads?" creak, creak, creak...

I did the same as you did on one of my exhaust studs that broke off flush after heating it cherry red and liberal spraying of PB Blaster on and off for three days. Drilled it progressively bigger until only the threads were left. You really have to be accurate when you hit the center punch for that to end up on a good note. Sometimes you can steer the drill, but the Porsche studs are semi-hard and it is a bear to change directions once you start. (No worries now with the ARP exhaust flange studs!)
I would think that if you run a tap into the hole to clean up the threads and use some Loc-Tite, you should be good to go. I cleaned the mating surfaces just like you did and used the Porsche gaskets dry and so far, no vacuum or pressure leaks.

I noticed that you used the paper valve cover gaskets, did they come in the gasket kit? I decided to go with the PP silicone gaskets and I am very happy with the fit and function.

Mark
Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)