View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
e I could consider interpolating the design over to your cars.

Goran, I REALLY like your thinking Short stroke, long rod motor. Use S50B30 dimensionality, reed valve case. 11.5:1+ static CR. Make a bedplate and pan design to isolate the cylinders from each other in the crankcase. Obviously make a new head sans valvetrain and Vanos. Ohh, could twin plug the bish(is only an 86mm bore though)...... Whoa!, just got a chill See now you're gonna make me waste more time and make something in Solidworks, hahah. Can you imagine what that thing would sound like!!

I'm an oldskool Rotax tuner here from my snowmobile days, absolutely love that stuff.
Hmm...S50B30 would need lot's of block work in order to machine the exhaust ports trough Nicasil jugs. Probably easier to do a billet-block from scratch. On the other hand "head" would be very easy...just a lock with two plugs per cylinder.

On the other hand, Merc V6 naval engine is compact, light and already works. But I dunno about oiling while engine-braking. EFI with continuous fueling to keep cylinders lubed would work but it would backfire as crazy when engine-braking.

I would make extra fueling rail powered by external pump just ta keep lubrication at bay as maritime engines aren't subjected to G's or engine-braking.

It would sound really really good and weight a lot less than V12 No flywheel to speak about = throttle response would be instant. It would sound like Carrera GT with two extra cylinders Add a small multiplate clutch (torque is probably low, don't need beefy clutch) and straight-cut dog box and it would rip! Tuned exhaust chambers could be sourced from snowmobile scene.

But it has to be mounted into lightweight chassis or it would only sound good.

Last edited by beepbeep; 01-25-2009 at 06:49 AM..
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)