View Single Post
what? me worry?

I was going to build a small displacement turbo engine for my own car a few years ago....You are following the right path building the bottom end as robustly as possible.

Why are you limiting to 0.8 bar boost?

Put a 0.7 spring in the wastegate, and use a boost controller to select your boost..

Why 85mm? 84 is standard 2.2/2.4 bore... You can get the nickies or Mahle cylinders... Then get a JE 2.4S piston.. It will be forged, and low c/r..probably 8.5:1 which is fine for a EFI controlled turbo engine.. This may be a more economical path

I'd use other than 2.0 heads..go for some heads with as large port/ valves as you can get..More aggressive cams i.e. more lift and duration.. Also you make no mention of lightweight valve components i.e. Ti retainers. Also hi perf springs will be necessary if you want to spin the engine that high..

Narbel headers are mild steel...M&K exhaust has some interesting mods of stainless SSI headers, the secondaries are shortened and a v band clamp is welded on.. This is ripe for easy twin turbo apps.

You could save a bunch of money by using a 3.2 manifold... in lieu of ITBs.. The Nth degree of performance will be realized with ITBs

Are you going to twin plug the engine?

I'm a bit confused on your description of the EFI set up... Will you be setting up the MSII sequencer for sequential injection and direct spark? If so in addition to the crank sensor you will need a CAS (cam angle sensor) you can take this obviously from one of the cams, or use an old distributor to provide the signal.. You can control a COP system with just a crank sensor though ...

That MSII sequencer looks very interesting...I may have to pick one up..

Quote:
Given the above options, what would you do to maximize spool up for a motor like this and get similar throttle response to what these modern cars make?
No unless you can get variable valve timing and variable turbo vanes...

Sorry I strayed from which turbo to select...I'll ask Bill which turbo he told me I should use when I was going to build a 2.0 turbo...
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)