View Single Post

You can use the engine oil pressure for the cooling jackets, but please for the sake of your motor, put a tiny restrictor orfice on the return side of the cooling so that you don't sacrifice oil pressure. Maybe one size smaller than the recommended restrictor used for the lubrication side. Goran's method is bullet proof, but some people get queezy when extra pumps are mentioned.
I have seen some aftermarket guys use the engine oil pressure for the cooling ports, but they never restrict them, thus creating a pressure leak and ultimately killing the motor as a result. If you do it that way and use a restrictor on the return path (I mean tiny) then you don't sacrifice oil pressure on any grand scale and you also hold the oil in the cooling passage long enough that it can absorb the heat from the center housing.
I have never used this method personally, but it would definitely work without adverse effect.
I personally just run the oil through the cooling passages and from the cooling passage it goes to the oiling port on the top of the turbo and this is what acts like the restrictor for my setup. Now the self acknowledged downfall of my setup is that it gets the oil hot (still cooler than the bearings + shaft) and then lubricates the turbo with hot oil. Well I got plenty of miles on the turbo with the way I did it and there is minimal shaft play and no oiling problems
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-19-2009, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)