View Single Post

Garage
Reseal for sure, Top end machine work? K27Turbo rebuild?

I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays.

I was going to wait until next winter for this project, but the car is leaking and consuming quite a bit of oil now (1qt per 3-400 miles). The oil leaks was my initial concern as they were plentiful, and of course the consumption was getting bad too.

At the end of the season, I noticed that the car was smoking but only at higher rpm's (above 4K) at WOT under full boost. It doesn't smoke otherwise, except for awhile at startup. I should also note that anything over .7 bar gives me a little detonation (my AFR's are descent).

My thoughts for this winter as a project were to

1) reseal the engine so I can rid it of all the oil leaks (for the first couple of months next season at least..).

2) But since I'm tearing it down to the short block, should I consider sending the heads out to get inspected/reconditioned (keeping in mind it was consuming oil)?

2) The turbo rebuild is another issue I think I need to address. When I removed it, it was full of oil at the top/inlet side of the oil line, and nothing on the exit side of the oil line. Could it be that there is some debris in the bearing journal, or oil passage?

I'm trying VERY hard to not do any further upgrades 'while I'm in there', SC cams are certainly bang for the buck.. but I just spent 2K on transmission parts, so I'm trying to keep the upgrades off the list. I also thought to inspect the rings/cylinders, however, have no intention of replacing as all is running great. I don't have any leak down numbers, but the compression numbers were all between 130-140PSI (on a warm engine).

I'm looking for some input and thoughts on the head machining and turbo/smoke issue under boost.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)

Last edited by mark '87 930; 12-29-2009 at 06:16 AM..
Old 12-29-2009, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)