View Single Post

Further to your comments, I think it is possible to categorize Ruf cars and products as follows:

A. Ruf manufactured cars, created at their factory in Pfaffenhausen, Germany, using a bare Porsche 911 body/frame unit. These cars carry a unique Ruf VIN number and are made to customer order. They would be identified as a Ruf car and would be licensed as a Ruf car.

B. Ruf conversion cars, converted at their factory in Pfaffenhausen, Germany, using the customer’s Porsche VIN 911 as the donor car which is stripped and modified to accommodate all necessary Ruf parts in order to make the same Ruf model as described in A. above. This car would still carry its Porsche VIN number unchanged and would be licensed as a Porsche.

C. Ruf conversion cars, converted by one of Ruf’s agents or technicians outside of Pfaffenhausen, Germany by the method described in B. above.

D. Porsche cars which have had various Ruf parts installed by either Ruf Automobile GmbH, various Ruf agents, Porsche workshops or individual owners and which may have many Ruf visual identifiers (wheels, bumpers, instruments, emblems, decals, etc.). These cars could best be described as modified Porsches.

Notes:

It is clear that, for example, a CTR model created as described in B. would have all the specialized Ruf parts and correct body/frame modifications as would a CTR model created in A. It would have the same performance and the same appearance inside and out. However, in the eyes of a potential buyer, the Ruf VIN CTR may have more appeal because it was “born” in Pfaffenhausen, not Stuttgart, and therefore may also command a higher asking price.

Also, I think a conversion done as described in C. above would be the equal to those described in B., with the proviso that all the necessary modifications were done. I say this because to create a CTR off-site from the Ruf factory would entail completely stripping the donor car down to its bare shell so the necessary modifications to the motor compartment, rear fenders, rain gutters, etc. could be completed. Other Ruf model conversions (BTR, RCT) may not be as complex as a CTR and therefore be somewhat easier to complete off-site.

Ruf VIN cars and Ruf conversions of Porsche models were very expensive undertakings for their customers. Anyone who has a Ruf VIN or converted car for sale should have all the Ruf documentation that proves its identity. I would not consider purchasing such a car if the seller could not provide correct documentation to support its stated provenance. Likewise, I believe that Ruf Automobile would be able to assist a potential buyer by confirming the identity of any Ruf car made or converted by them in Pfaffenhausen.

I am not familiar with Ruf identification labels or metal tags that may have been installed in the same location as Porsche VIN stampings. Obviously, these would be vital to help identify when and who carried out the conversion and I expect that the factory could assist anyone with their enquiries concerning details of the conversion.

Ruf make approx. 20 new Ruf VIN cars per year. If we assume that they have been doing this since the late 1980s, then there are over 400 original Ruf VIN cars currently existing without mentioning all the Porsche VIN cars that were converted nor all the buyers of individual Ruf components (like 5-speed gearboxes) that were installed in various Porsche models over this period of time.

Finally, anyone owning a Porsche equipped with Ruf parts is free to describe it in any manner they please. There will always be the question of how many Ruf parts and modifications justify a change (in the mind of the owner) from Porsche to Porsche-Ruf. If it is clear after a thorough inspection of the car that it has genuine Ruf parts and the owner can provide documents that confirm these parts were purchased from Ruf and installed in the prescribed manner, then I think this enhances the value of that car. To quantify this increase in value is a matter to be decided between a willing buyer/seller in an open market place.

I have found Marc Bonger's book entitled Porsche and Ruf sportscars published by Motor buch Verlag (Stuttgart) to be very useful as it has a good overall Ruf company history plus a description of all Ruf models up to 2005 and all Porsche models up to the Carrera GT. It is available from Ruf Pfaffenhausen (check their website) for a reasonable price.

Steven C. - not sure who you were talking to..., Ruf Dallas or Ruf Germany or private seller? If it was a recent model being offered for sale by Ruf themselves, then I can't see any reason why they could not show you vehicle documentation in order to answer your questions unless the original owner has lost the paperwork or for some reason there are privacy issues. It what regards was their record keeping terrible?
Old 01-01-2010, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)