View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo View Post
Further to your comments, I think it is possible to categorize Ruf cars and products as follows:

Notes:

Also, I think a conversion done as described in C. above would be the equal to those described in B., with the proviso that all the necessary modifications were done. I say this because to create a CTR off-site from the Ruf factory would entail completely stripping the donor car down to its bare shell so the necessary modifications to the motor compartment, rear fenders, rain gutters, etc. could be completed. Other Ruf model conversions (BTR, RCT) may not be as complex as a CTR and therefore be somewhat easier to complete off-site.

Ruf make approx. 20 new Ruf VIN cars per year. If we assume that they have been doing this since the late 1980s, then there are over 400 original Ruf VIN cars currently existing without mentioning all the Porsche VIN cars that were converted nor all the buyers of individual Ruf components (like 5-speed gearboxes) that were installed in various Porsche models over this period of time.

paulo,

Very well addressed. However I'd to add a couple comments.

1) I don't belive there are any CTRs that were completed off-site simply based on the complexity of the vehilce as you've stated.

2) Regarding statement (A),
- There are numerous "Ruf manufactured cars, created at their factory in Pfaffenhausen, Germany, using a bare Porsche 911 body/frame unit that Do Not carry a Ruf Vin as Ruf was not alway's designated as a manufacturer.

- It was not until after thier TUV Certifiation in the late 80's that their Porsche supplied bodys began to carry a Ruf Vin

- Although "body blanks" were supplied by Porsche, these earlier cars carried Porsche Vin #s. Also, it should be noted that not all cars turned out by Ruf were turbo chared (CTR, BTR) units.

Paulo, am I incorrect or do is it you that owns the Red Ruf that resides in Canada?
BTR?

Rgeards,
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)