View Single Post

Onboost,

I would like to address your comments concerning Ruf VIN cars:

1.) Although I would agree it would make sense that all CTR1s (both Ruf VIN and Porsche conversions) would have been built in Pfaffenhausen because of their complexity, I know of one lightweight CTR that was completed in the USA using an early Porsche 911 chassis. This converted car is still with its original owner and is located in Florida.

2.) Hopefully, the following will help clarify details around Ruf’s manufacture of their own cars;

a) In 1981, the German Federal Bureau of Motor Vehicles certified Ruf Automobile GmbH as an automobile manufacturer. To my knowledge, this certification is not within the purview of the TüV.

b) In 1983, the first vehicles to carry a unique Ruf chassis number (VIN) were the Ruf BTR 3.4 models. These cars were hand-built to customer’s orders from bare body/frame shells up.

c) The Sept. 1984 issue of Road & Track featured the world’s fastest cars at the VW test track where a Ruf BTR went 186 mph. This competition was limited to car manufacturers only so Ruf was included because they were a manufacturer since 1981. Tuners were not allowed to participate.

d) I think is important to understand that the stamping of VIN numbers on blank body/frame shells in any jurisdiction is not a casual process and is strictly controlled by government regulation. Any body/frame carrying a Porsche VIN number originally stamped by Porsche AG cannot be altered by Ruf or anyone else. It is my understanding that when a bare body/frame shell is ordered from Porsche, it is identified only by a part number as would any other part and it would not be stamped with any Porsche VIN or production numbers. Ruf would then stamp their own unique VIN numbers on these shells and the resulting cars would be legally registered and licensed as Ruf automobiles.

e) Any original Porsche VIN cars that Ruf modified or converted (without using bare body/frame shells) may have additional Ruf number tags affixed (as you mention) to further identify them as cars Ruf has worked on. These Ruf tags would not be used to replace any original Porsche VIN tags or information. These cars would continue to be registered and licensed as Porsche vehicles.

f) I think it is fair to say that any Porsche VIN car that was born in Stuttgart, Leipzig or at any other Porsche production facility will always remain legally registered and licensed as a Porsche, no matter how many modifications to its original production configuration have been performed by owners, dealers or other workshops. Likewise, the very few Ruf VIN automobiles that were born in Pfaffenhausen will always be legally registered and licensed as Ruf cars.

3.) I am the owner of the red CTR1 that resides in Ontario, Canada. It is chassis number 012 of the 29 original Ruf VIN CTRs made in Pfaffenhausen.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)