View Single Post

Shadetree engineering -completed

OK boys and girls, the project is finally completed. For the skeptics, no scoffing allowed (I make things functional, not necessarily pretty). This entire project was aimed toward going with the updated BOV and dropping some unnecessary weight (like maybe 3 lbs!), cleaning up the engine bay, improving access to the internal nether-lands previously verboten, and allowing people with shortneck IC's and limited budgets to achieve the update without laying down another grand for a longneck IC or having to weld anything on to their intercooler.

Pictures tell a thousand words. I had to do a lot of custom stuff to get all the necressary vacuum and boost connection points, but all in all it was pretty simple. I'm keeping the decell valve, but it will vent to atmosphere now instead of to the intake manifold (though I could route it back to the manifold if desired). Vacuum source for the new BOV is the same source as the stock recirc valve...I just had to fabricate a nipple to attach to the hose. Other nipples were build to acccomodate my aftermarket boost gauge sender and my MSD boost retard ignition module, and some drilling and tapping to mount the stock overboost switch. Napa Auto parts and Ace hardware supplied all that I needed.

What have I really gained? Hell, I don't know, but it's been fun. It will be awhile yet before I can fire her up, weather permitting, but I'm expecting about a 75 hp increase. That should put me to about 440 hp with CIS, all for the cost of some plumbing parts and some hacking and mangling ( PS: PM me if you want to buy the bridge I have for sale). And if it gives me problems, I still have a complete recirc manifold to go back to stock if wanted.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)