View Single Post

Garage
OK, I hope I am on some sort of path toward isolating this. Here are my voltage readings:

With wife holding key in "engage starter" position:
voltage at positive post = 10.2 volts
voltage at middle terminal (yellow cable) = 0.49 volts
voltage at lower terminal (starter switch lead? - other yellow) = 0.49 volts

So, I am guessing the positive post at the starter should be seeing 12volts not 10.2volts. Or is this 10.2v a reasonable value to see when the solenoid is engaged / switch is "on start"? Does the 1.8volt difference between battery voltage (12+volts) and the starter post voltage during starting indicate the solenoid is drawing too much voltage? Should I expect to see a much smaller voltage drop?

If the solenoid is not sucking up the 1.8volts, then I guess I must be losing it between the battery and the starte post...

First question: I assume the positive power gets to the started via the multi pin bricks on the firewall and on the rear driver's side fender well. Anyone know which pins supply the 12volts? I suspect I should measure there next?

Second question: what is the middle terminal lead for - what does that yellow wire go to?

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 06-13-2010, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)