Garage
what an excellent post. thank you.

just my opinion. what an excellent post. thank you. jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Hoyo:

I have no idea how much you know about the scavenge system so please excuse
any excess information.

Start at the center rear of the engine you will find; The red switch sits on top of the banjo bolt that supplies inlet oil to the turbo.

This is an exploded view of that assembly: Make sure all the parts are there and assembled correctly, especially the 9mm ball.

The oil line will run to the front of the engine and connect to the turbo on top and between the turbo halves. This is what oils the turbo.

Your drip tank then connects to the bottom center section of the turbo. The drip tank holds the oil as it flows through the turbo and the tank has a hose connected to it that goes to the scavenge pump which sucks the oil out of the tank. The scavenge pump is located on the rear of the motor on the drivers side. The pump is a simple gear style.

If you run the engine and have the oil scavenge line disconnected from the drip tank, don't forget a nice plastic pan underneath, the flow through the turbo should look like this. That should give you an idea if your getting good flow, bad flow , or overflow.

While the engine is still running put your thumb over the scavenge pump return line to see if you can feel good suction. If you have suction you can stick the line in your pan of dripping oil and see if the pump adequatly evacuates the oil. I would also disconnect the line from the scavenge pump and run something like a coat hanger through it to clear it and the rinse thoroughly with a spray can of engine degreaser.

Let us know what you find.

Cole
Old 06-17-2011, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)