View Single Post

Ruf 5 Spd,, What's in It?

So I also got to thinking the other night after a discussion around 5 speed transmissions for the 930.

A friend of mine really wants to do a G50 conversion but heís really put off at the thought around the associated fabrication work, disassembly and having the G50 cut down, and additional work needed to the car for fitment., altering the torsion bar tube, addition the hydraulic line, and the pedal cluster and reservoir, the easy part. Lastly of course is the price. By the time youíre finish this mod youíre around $11k

Then of course there is the infamous Ruf 5speed trans.. if you can find one. The last time I looked they were fetching between $8 - $10K depending on how fond of it the owner is.

Over the years Iíve seen a couple of these up close and personal and visually they donít look much different than our standard 4 speeders.
The rear nose cone where the shift rod exits is the noticeable difference. The bell housing and center section appear to be the same and thus it appears that the 5th gear is added to that rear section requiring a specific redesign for the nose cone.

Has anyone here actually seen the inside of this area on a Ruf 5spd, how different is it, and what would be the prospect of duplicating/ reverse engineering this old technology..the addition of a gear, slider, forks, lengthened rod.. what? And yes, the machining, modification, or casting of a nose coneÖ.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)