View Single Post
3 restos WIP = psycho

Finally, time for an update!

Things have been plodding along for various reasons - mostly due to me being out of town for work and then vacation. The shop made as much progress as possible on motor assembly in my absence and the long block is finally together:

The ugly red pulley is going out for black anodizing this week.

The heat exchangers, as a reminder, are factory 3.2 Carrera units. This is important because the 3.2 Carrera design was identical to the SC and Euro/late 930 HEs with one important exception: They are 38mm in diameter! They bolt right up to the Euro/late 930 J-Pipe.

At $100 (thanks Pelican!), this turned out to be an affordable, good performing solution that allowed dwindling funds to be invested elsewhere. And yes, they are high heat coated to look puuurty.

With the long block ready, I've been the main blocker on further progress. I decided to save a few bucks by porting the manifold myself (I had a spare '86 manifold...the '79 manifold is going into a box). This led to some delays, given the aforementioned premium on my time.

Doing it myself proved penny-wise, pound-foolish. Ollie's would have done it for $100 extra, on top of the cost of porting my heads. As each hole took 30-45 minutes to port with a Dremel and high speed cutter...never again.

If you're curious how I did it or are a masochist and plan to do this yourself, here are some visuals.

The Fixtures:

The Set Up:

I scribed the cutter lines using a pick I bought from Harbor Freight:

The final product @ 40mm:

Now the final steps of assembly can begin, most importantly by fitting all of the sensors and building a harness for these sensors to interface with the ECU.

My mechanic and I are hopeful that this motor will finally inhale its first angry breaths sometime in January. Stay tuned.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 12-04-2014, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)