View Single Post

noob with a few questions on 930

Hi,
2nd time poster. I put a post on the engine build board and was recommended I come over here. Anyways, I'm planning on a rebuild on my '79 930 with 80 k miles that I've had since 1992. Reason for the rebuild are numerous leaks. The heads have never been off. The orig. owner replaced the reactors with manifolds and removed the rest of the emission crap which I have. After tossing around EFI I've decided to stay with CIS for originality's sake and I'm not after mega HP. My plan is the basic CIS build with a performance K27, SC cams, rarely8 headers, larger IC, BL WUR, Supertec studs, ARP rod hardware, have Anchor do the heads, maybe MSD 6AL2. I'm happy with 325-350 rwhp. After reading the entire sealant thread I've decided I do not want to glue the main webs with loctite and if necessary I'll spend the coin to shuffle pin rather than glue the webs per Henry's method. Seems like I'd just be asking for trouble either from oil system contamination, larger than desirable main clearances or both since this will be my first 911 build. Also, if the original piston and no top fin barrels mic OK should I reuse the original barrels or buy new fully finned ones? Will try to get a pic up of the car, it's a very nice all original Minerva Blue sunroof delete. I dropped the engine when I got it to set the valves, hydraulic tensioners, k26 rebuild and a general clean up. A few years ago I replaced the rear stub axle bearings in the banana arms, what a fun job. I'll also be going thru the gearbox. Thanks, hope I can contribute something. Also throw in an AFR readout on the build sheet.

Last edited by boosted79; 01-03-2015 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: add'l info
Old 01-03-2015, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)