View Single Post

Brake bleeding fun - stripped nipple

I'm having fun bleeding my brakes!

Before the operation they were a bit squishy, and the front pads and rotors needed replacing. As per the instructions from our host, I had to disconnect the calipers to replace the front rotors, so bleeding would be necessary anyway. Front brake work went well, and bleeding the front was as per described in the Pelican article.

The front nipple uses a reasonable size nut - 11mm. The rear valves use a ridiculously small nut - 7mm. And of course I stripped the first nut trying to get the valve open. I carefully tried the other side, but I'm sure it will strip too if I try to apply enough force to get it loose. The space for getting the tiny, weak 7mm open end wrenches in there to loosen the nuts is too small, of course. Thanks a lot, Porsche engineers (!) (who are probably in retirement homes (or worse) now).

Should I:

A) Leave it alone for now, since there may not be air in the rear system.
B) Take the rear calipers off and try and force the nipple out, probably damaging them for good (and replace with new parts).
C) Hope that someone here has some nifty/magic way of getting these things loose without taking the calipers off. (I've tried soaking with WD40 and PB Blaster).

I'm hoping for C.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)