Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I'm stumped.. (intermittent issue) O2 sensor makes a VERY rich condition

I've just reconnected a new O2 sensor into my GHL headers. After a little warming up, I took her out for a stroll... and it was acting strange the first 5 minutes, seemed like it needed to warm up. The car would not idle right, and almost died when at a stop light (idle at 200 RPM). When all that was out of the way, the car ran fine.

I stopped the car for 15 minutes.

When I started it again and went all, the first chance I got I nailed the throttle to get a good rush of boost.. but the just wanted to cough and die.. I immediately looked out the rear-view mirror and there's a big black cloud of smoke out the rear.

I try gradually pressing the throttle, and again, it bogs and just dies. It seems to be when I start to hit boost.

10 minutes into that drive, I try again, all works fine??

This whole problem started when I replaced my GHL headers last year. I heated my O2 sensor cherry red to get it out... turns out that wasn't good, so I bought a new one, and it was good for about a month.. then the issue started again. When I disconnect the O2 sensor, the problem goes away.

Some questions I have..

1.Can't be the new sensor can it? (2nd one)
2.Can it be an exhaust leak at the headers?
3.Is the O2 sensor somehow connected to the WUR, and maybe the boost signal spikes too soon, telling the WUR to dump more fuel?
4. Can it be that fuel enrichment box (that thing under the seat)? If so, how do I check it?
5.Could it be that the way I wired in the O2 sensor, that the wires are too close to the engine and the heat is causing some havoc?
5. Is the relay under the drivers seat for this.. maybe a connection?
6. Is it Ignition that is somehow conected to the O2 sensor, and it doesn't advance when the RPM's rise?
7.Could it be my throttle position switch?

I mention the exhaust leak because I think the drivers side headers seem to be pfut pfut pfut pfut pfuting... so I tightened up the exhaust bolts when I got home.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)

Last edited by mark '87 930; 03-30-2007 at 06:25 AM..
Old 03-29-2007, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't have a CIS based car, so I can't really help much, but if the engine performs fine without the O2 sensor, then why not just leave it disconnected? Are you reconnecting it for the smog test police?

On my Motronic based motor, I left the O2 sensor disconnected as I found the car performs better without an O2 sensor. Albeit, a bit richer at idle and part throttle, but certainly performs better. With the O2 sesnor in, the ECU makes the idle/part throttle mixture leaner, for better economy and emmissions. I prefer it on the richer side, even if it means fuel economy suffers a bit.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 03-29-2007, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Merv,

I know it's taboo to speak of being fuel economic... but much of my driving is done around town unfortunately..so that's why I wanted it connected. Also, I used to find that the with the O2 sensor connected, the performace was much crisper at low RPM's.

I'll see if anyone else chimes in and can point me to anything.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you disconnect the o2 sensor, what happens? Does it go back to normal? To me it sounds like a wicked boost leak or a bad warm up regulater. On my old cis car, the wur went bad and it made it run verrry rich, it was hard to even get on the gas without it stalling, but if i got the rpms up and beat it the car would boost.
Also, whoever disconnected the o2 sensor, is it possible that they made adjustments to the CIS adjustment in order to richen it out?
As far as the exhaust goes, you may have to tighten it a few more times until she complies.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-30-2007, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
the O2 sensor was connected before I had the GHL header system.. and there were no issues. I know for a fact that nothing has been changed other than that. You mention stalling, and that is more the word I should have used, as that is what it feels like.

If I disconnect the O2 sensor, all goes back to normal.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Then maybe the warm up injector in the back of the motor is stuck open? If not that, it may be a control problem. I have a stock control unit around my house somewhere if you would be interested in trying. I have that as well as all of the relays from under the seat.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
By warm up injector, you mean the CSV(Cold start valve)? I didn't think that was tied to the O2 circuit.

I'd be willing to try that (stock stuff to see if that fixes the issue). We can discuss the details of that offline if you like (mark.thoun@telus.com). It at least gives me a base for troubleshooting.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had the same problem on mine but it ended up being a faulty Andial FE system. Atleast the problem seemed to be solved by disconnecting the FE at the frequency valve in my case....

Unfortunately it doesn't appear as though you are running a similar set up.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
No aftermarket FE for me, but I wonder if the frequency valve can be suspect? Although, it works fine when I disconnect the O2 sensor? I am really at a loss with this one.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The cold start valve circut is not conected to the o2 directly. The o2 sends a rough exhaust gas temp signal to the computer to let it know that it has warmed up (in combination with the other million temp sensors around the motor) and in turn the computer stops the cold start valve from delivering fuel. I know you dont want to do this, but when I had my cis setup i had nothing except for an msd box and two fuel pumps running the motor and that was it. I know you want all of the stuff so it is more driveable.
Now maybe we are missing something here, is the o2 location the same on the ghl headers? maybe you might need to adjust something becuase it may be changing the temp. at the o2 sensor
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-30-2007, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
That is a good point, the O2 sensor is MUCh closer to the turbo in the GHL application due to the fact that the headers as so much shorter that the stock ones.. That could certianly be a cause, but I can't conrim that. I wonder if anyone is running their O2 sensors with a set of GHL headers and all is well?

I was giving this additional thought, I'm going to check the throttle position sensor/switch. I don't know where it is, but I am going to check that. I wonder if the switch is not working properlly, it would cause the O2 sesnor to remain in the loop at WOT, and it should not.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The TPS is right on the throttle body on the passenger side. In order to get to it you may have to remove the air intake (Im not sure as it has been sooooo long since I have worked on a car with a stock intake).
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You may have an intermittent ground on your O2 sensor

'87 930
'73 911T
Old 03-31-2007, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The PO had the O2 sensor disconnected intentionally, on the advice of his mechanic after a top end rebuild and some upgrades. I have left it that way and my mechanis agrees. Don't lots of us with upgrade, turbos, exhaust, etc. run without it???
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s
Old 04-01-2007, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: