Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Those barrel nuts are easy with a nut splitter. You can then be 100% certain that you will not snap the stud.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 09-14-2007, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I can see the nut splitter working on maybe 3 of them but not all 6. Does the nut splitter fit in there on the DS? Especially #3 cyl (DS Front)? I don't see how you could get a wrench in there let alone a splitter. I haven't done it so initially I'm a non-believer.

Did you get the nut splitter on all 6 barrel nuts? What nut splitter do you have? I have the one from Northern Tool.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Sandman,

Let me help you.. The little blue pill is for your tool and nuts..The red will help your sinuses..

I'm taking my nuts off at the moment too. I have them soaking in aerokroil The right hand set came of easily but the left are going to give me a fight. I'm going to tap them in a few minutes and try to break them loose.

BTW the 1/4 and 1/2 adapter/ Socket to box end wrench is vital..I bought mine at Sears yesterday to $9.99. Harbor freight has the long allens in metric that are made in Taiwan for $14.99 for the barrel nuts. Its a must too.

Reinstallation:

I'm wondering if I should use new 8mm class 8 nuts and Stainless washers.

What about lockwashers? I know poor quality will crack and fall out in time but what about class 8?

Bob
Old 09-15-2007, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

My best luck with the head studs was a $h!tload of PB blaster and the use of a 1/4 inch impact wrench. The 1/4 impact is useful because it has too little torque to snap the studs and has high frequency, ideal for getting the nuts off with no studs in them. It is absolutely the best feeling when the gun fires off the last nut without it snapping
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 09-15-2007, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_snyder View Post
Sandman,

Let me help you.. The little blue pill is for your tool and nuts..The red will help your sinuses..

I'm taking my nuts off at the moment too. I have them soaking in aerokroil The right hand set came of easily but the left are going to give me a fight. I'm going to tap them in a few minutes and try to break them loose.

BTW the 1/4 and 1/2 adapter/ Socket to box end wrench is vital..I bought mine at Sears yesterday to $9.99. Harbor freight has the long allens in metric that are made in Taiwan for $14.99 for the barrel nuts. Its a must too.

Reinstallation:

I'm wondering if I should use new 8mm class 8 nuts and Stainless washers.

What about lockwashers? I know poor quality will crack and fall out in time but what about class 8?

Bob
Thanks for keeping me straight on those pills! As for hardware this is what I ordered from our host:
12 each of part number 11-62-1-711-954-M58 Copper Lock Nut, 8mm
6 each of part number 930-111-191-12-M17 Metal Exhaust Port Gasket, 911 1984-89
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 09-15-2007, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
I can see the nut splitter working on maybe 3 of them but not all 6. Does the nut splitter fit in there on the DS? Especially #3 cyl (DS Front)? I don't see how you could get a wrench in there let alone a splitter. I haven't done it so initially I'm a non-believer.

Did you get the nut splitter on all 6 barrel nuts? What nut splitter do you have? I have the one from Northern Tool.
I had nothing special, just a bog standard splitter. I did not remove all nuts with the splitter but I think I did once I had the idea to use one as I did snap one stud off flush with the stock headers

I recently used similair tactics on some oil lines on my 3.2 carrera, I sawed into the nuts with a dremel using a disc. It made a tremendous difference in getting them undone.

I fitted my new headers with A2 stainless steel nuts and washers, my thinking was that if I needed to get them off again I will just split them so the more brittle the better Hope my theory is right...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Last edited by NathanUK; 09-15-2007 at 03:27 PM..
Old 09-15-2007, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

"I wuz the liquor..."

GOOD GOD...whose ass did that turd come out of
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 09-15-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Old 09-15-2007, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
LOL, they are a little brown aren't they

We have these dumbasses that put salt on the roads in the winter

Old 09-15-2007, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Thanks for keeping me straight on those pills! As for hardware this is what I ordered from our host:
12 each of part number 11-62-1-711-954-M58 Copper Lock Nut, 8mm
6 each of part number 930-111-191-12-M17 Metal Exhaust Port Gasket, 911 1984-89
This is good to know. Not the Part #s, the pill useage! J/K, that's why I married a pharmacist. I can't keep 'em straight either!

Seriously, I was wondering about what to put on too. Thanks for the tip!

robert_snyder - How's it going? Did you get them off? Like I said, I'm not going to be doing this till this winter. I figured that my car will we off the road for the winter anyways so I can take my time. Besides that, I have a K27 that's going on at the same time.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: