Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest 78' 930 tech questions

I just picked up a 78 porsche with the 3.3 intercooled turbo. The car had been sitting in a garage for close to 10 yrs prior to me buying it. I bought it in non running condition...just made sure it turned over and I was happy. Once I got it home i flushed all the gas and oil and new filters for both and a new set of spark plugs. I then went ahead and tryed to start it, consequently all I got was a couple miss fires. Checked if I was getting spark and fuel at the injectors and that check out good. I then aligned the crank Z1 mark to the fan and pulled #1 spark plug and it was at TDC, then pulled the distributor cap but the rotor was pointing at #5 cylinder..so it seems like it may have jumped a tooth on timing chain. Was thinking about pulling the distributor and re-setting the dynamic timing..would that be a good idea. Any comments are much appreciated. I am not to familiar with the aircooled but everythings seems basically same as anything else. Also what kind of gas are you running, it says I need 96 octane so I did a half and half mix of 92 and 100 octane to achieve the 96, is this necessary? I'll stop talking now lets here what you got to say.

Last edited by Zorked930; 09-19-2008 at 07:47 PM..
Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Zorked,
Congratulations on your new acquisition. As far as your timing situation, there is no timing chain. The distributor is geared to the intermediate shaft that drives the cams at the rear of the engine and the oil pump at the front of the engine.

It is possible that someone removed the distributor and did not replace it correctly. In other words, the engine was turned over, or more likely, the distributor shaft was turned when it was out of the engine. Quite possible if the distributor was serviced or inspected.

Ensure that the #1 wire is in the proper location and your spark plug wires are connected to the distributor cap in the correct order. Point the rotor to have it line up with #1 when it rotates as you reinsert it into the crankcase. I think you know the drill.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 09-19-2008, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Yep, you could also check the valves are shut while the crank is at the marks on the pulley too. Use the dizzy to determine which valves should be shut. Of course, there may be other valves shut too but that is normal, so long as they are shut at the marks.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 09-20-2008, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If that car sat ten years you should have major injection work ahead of you.

I would remove the injectors and have them cleaned, tested, or atleast check their spray pattern coming from the fuel distributor.

Also check to make sure the plunger is not stuck in the fuel distributor. You can tell by pushing down on the air flow sensor plate w/ fuel pumps running. Be careful, you'll flood the motor quite easily. But it should require force to push the plate down with pumps running. And you should hear the injectors squeeling when you do. If the plate return up w/ pressure than the piston is not stuck and you may be OK in the fuel dist. area. Although later once the injectors qre deemed ok, I would do a volume test on all the injectors hooked to the dist to make sure there are no blockages in the fuel dist.

It would be wise to get a CIS fuel pressure gauge and verify system and control pressures befoe running engine hard. In case the "italian tune-up" comes to mind which is what many people think will fix cars that have been sitting up. Trouble is, this could prove dangerous in a CIS 930.

Sounds great, good luck and welcome
Old 09-20-2008, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

10 years stored?

Your injectors are probably gummed up and CIS plunger stuck. Check that both pums run, check injector spray pattern. Check that CIS barn-door moves freely. If it doesn't start when that's taken care of, check if distributor has jumped a tooth.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Smile

Well I appreciate the responses helped me out alot especially not having any sort of manual. I finally got it going the whole time it was 180 out. Some other parts that went to look at it im sure sabotaged it. I made sure that the fuel plunger wasnt stuck and it moved freely by itself with the key on and could here the injectors spray. The engine sounds really good but it pushed alot of smoke out at first start I pushed that fuel plunger twice so that was part of it and there was some oil dripping from one of the exhaust gaskets.The valve guides were probably pretty hard and crusty from sitting but it isnt pushing much smoke at all now. I think it is running a little rich still; mostly just black smoke. Heres a vid after it starting running decent, and a picture of where oil was leaking from. It has a 120,000 miles..what do you think should be done to protect this asset from being destroyed? engine wise
View My Video

Last edited by Zorked930; 09-23-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

After watching the video I only see small amounts of smoke. Not bad for an engine out of operation 10 years! Get out and run the motor progressively harder with the intention of seating the rings better, smoke may stop. Also, find the source of the squeaking noise, thats not normal.

A proper leakdown and compression test will be a good indicator of engine health.
Peugeot moped

Last edited by William930t; 09-23-2008 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: wordy
Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Not bad at all. But the smoke appeared to change from dark to light (full to oil) I would run it under load easyly at first until things settle down. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hello there,
Have you run the engine long enough to bring it up to full temp.? The rich black smoke at idle, could just be that is still in warm-up mode. Your video seams to show that the rich mixture, black smoke clears up just off idle as your buddy was blipping the throttle. Could also be a slightly gummed up injector that is just not absolutely seating closed, thus running real rich at idle, but not so noticeable as the rpms climb. These cars do not like sitting for long periods, mine sat unattended for 3 years before I picked it up...and yes it needed some TLC & $.
Anyway, welcome to halls of financial hell...and since your journey has just started....pry tell what did you pay for your 100+k/10 year in storage find? We all want to know, I'm just the first to ask!
Mark
Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I'm no expert but that didn't look like oil to me. Looked rich to me. Could try some injector cleaner to loosen things up.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have got it up to full temp I drove it around the block a couple times and down to the corner store, and it doesnt seem to smoke at all anymore. The only smoke was after I drove it and oil is dripping onto the exhaust. As for the price I just picked it up off craigslist down in Seattle area for 9k. Next I will be changing the tranny oil and trying to get ahold of a leakdown tester. Any reccomendations on tranny oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Not bad at all. But the smoke appeared to change from dark to light (full to oil) I would run it under load easyly at first until things settle down. Good luck!
What were you saying here..too much oil?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorked930 View Post
As for the price I just picked it up off craigslist down in Seattle area for 9k. Any reccomendations on tranny oil.
From what I have seen I would say you did well.

I think this is the standard go to trans lube but I'm a newb so I could be wrong.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search.cgi?command=show_part_page&please_wait=N&make=POR&model=911M&section=BASflt&page=1&bookmark=4&part_number=SWE-201-80W90
Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Your doing great, that black smoke means that is running reach, which is not bad to keep things "cool", but it appears to go away. Light/blue smoke = oil, but that one went away also = good deal. After reaching op temps measure the oil level, a little low is OK - do not overfill.
You need to check the brake system also, paying close attention to the hoses integrity.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

$9K?? Niiiiiiice
I bet your turbo feedline could be leaking oil. It's a metal line bolted to the turbo that is fed from a rubber hose crimped just a few inches away.

They usually pour right there as they age, something about old rubber getting repeatedly cooked by turbocharger heat, imagine that.

It is also likey to be cam feed lines as well but if they are not pouring too bad ignore them for now until you make sure you're not going into the motor anytime soon. If you are you may consider the pressure fed tensioner upgrade which would require new hoses anyway.

Good deal
Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Sounds like you scored a deal..touch'e.
Hard to go wrong with Swepco oil for your tranny, blue or red, although the red tends to foam a bit.
Check out your CV boots, they tend to crack with age, especially after sitting for a long time. They are cheap & easy to replace.
I live in the Seattle area & watch Craigs list all the time...how in the hell did I miss that one...damn!
Mark
Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: