Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can you help me with these AFR Graphs

I finally got my LM-1 hooked up to the laptop. I usually had someone read it for me as I did a lot of runs over the summer. Well the last time I thought I'd record some sessions and see how the software works. I'm quite surprised at the actual graph. I mean it is all over the place with the engine getting very rich. The car runs great and doesn't make any funny noises etc.

I have GHL headers, K-27, .8spring, zork, with a B&B intercooler.

Here are the graphs:
Session 1:

Session 2:

Session 3:

Help me understand this data. Should I lean it up some, leave it alone? Why are the graphs so jagged?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by wcc; 10-13-2008 at 04:24 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

expand the timeline and smooth it just a little.
you don't say what gear(s) you did this?
try to pick a section of the timeline with one gear, like fourth. And post a pic of that.
Get a pick up clamp to log rpm (cheap) and no more difficult to do.
It's kinda hard to look at that the way it is.
if you want to email me the file I can play with it and post it.
is from 19 sec to 28 sec fourth gear?

jerrybrinkley at hotmail
Old 10-13-2008, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You can smooth the curve by going to Channels/smooth channel/LM1_O2, then using the slider to smooth the graph, about halfway is normally pretty good.

It's hard to tell from just a A/F graph, but that looks pretty lean. You really need to log rpm also, then the shifts are apparent and you can tell where the AFR's are in the rpm range.

John
Old 10-13-2008, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just ordered the clamp and connector, but they won't be here for a few days. In the meantime here are the smoothed out graphs. This recorded data was from about a month ago so I can't really say when a shift happened. Maybe it good enough to do some tweaking? If not, I'll wait till the clamp gets here and take new fresh data with RPM info.

jbrinkley - I emailed you the file as well...

Session 1:

Session 2:

Session 3:
Old 10-14-2008, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

hard to really tell without rpm and or boost on there.
Looking at it I think you can only assume/hope that the low numbers were on boost and the higher instances were off boost/part throttle. Maybe I'm stating the obvious,
but that log could be on or off boost, part or mid throttle, stoplight to stoplight, or freeway run up to boost and off again.

I aways did runs on the freeway, in fourth gear, press record off throttle at 2k rpm or close to. Press record again at redline and let off the throttle. At least then you know what gear and can assume boost pressure and when it occurred.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

How did you get the graph to 1sec intervals instead of 5?

All of those sessions were from a stand still. Redlining in all gears, maybe not all of third, but not 4th at all. I think the first session 3rd wasn't run out so I don't think that one is any good. The other sessions I ran it all the way through 3rd. Lets just wait till I get that RPM kit and I'll get some new data.

So with this RPM kit will I be able to tell shift points and what gear I'm in for a full run from 1-3rd or do I need to make one session for 1st, one for 2nd, and one for 3rd?

Last edited by wcc; 10-14-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Bill, the RPM kit will add an additional line of date to your graph. So you'll see what RPM you are at in relation to the AFR reading. I bought one as well (with the RPM kit) and glad I did.. more so because it's fun to play with and check you're not running too much in either direction.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 10-14-2008, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

you click the magnifying + thing and then hover over the time marks and click.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ok, just messing around tonight with the equipment I still have and I recorded a couple sessions with just a second gear run and after a little tweaking for those runs I have it set now in the low 11s. It really doesn't take much of turning that screw for adjustments. So, is low 11s on boost too rich or can I just leave it as is? I'm going to re-check it all when I get the RPM kit here. Hopefully by the weekend.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
Ok, just messing around tonight with the equipment I still have and I recorded a couple sessions with just a second gear run and after a little tweaking for those runs I have it set now in the low 11s. It really doesn't take much of turning that screw for adjustments. So, is low 11s on boost too rich or can I just leave it as is? I'm going to re-check it all when I get the RPM kit here. Hopefully by the weekend.
What screw are you turning on which part of the engine to set your AFRs to mid-elevens?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The allen head screw between the air box and the fuel head. You put the wrench in and it's spring loaded so you have to push it down GENTLY and you can turn it. Clockwise Richens it and Counterclockwise Leans it. I don't have a pic and I think it's a 3mm allen wrench. Next time I'm in there I'll take a photo or I'm sure there's one on here somewhere if you search. Hope that helps ya....
Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
beancounter

AFAIK the mixture screw is for idle adjustment and may have some impact at part throttle, but I don't think that you can adjust your full-boost WOT afr that way. You need to make those adjustments by changing control pressure with the WUR.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
AFAIK the mixture screw is for idle adjustment and may have some impact at part throttle, but I don't think that you can adjust your full-boost WOT afr that way. You need to make those adjustments by changing control pressure with the WUR.
I'm sure many people will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it does. I mean I've checked timing, adjusted the idle, then I set the mixture at idle. If your CI 'System' is working correctly it 'should' adjust the AFR as the RPMs increase. This OBVIOUSLY made a difference because I was just north of 12s AFR and now I'm low to mid 11s WOT.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
The allen head screw between the air box and the fuel head. You put the wrench in and it's spring loaded so you have to push it down GENTLY and you can turn it. Clockwise Richens it and Counterclockwise Leans it. I don't have a pic and I think it's a 3mm allen wrench. Next time I'm in there I'll take a photo or I'm sure there's one on here somewhere if you search. Hope that helps ya....
Ah, I know the screw you are talking about. That would adjust mixture across the entire spectrum, yes? I was thinking you wanted to adjust mixture just during the early 'boost dump' when these normally go a little rich.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
If adjusting that screw puts your idle CO out then you will have to reset the idle CO & then adjust the WUR.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 10-18-2008, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: