Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Car lift delima

Can anyone tell me? I just got a lift from Max Jax USA for my garage.My problem is
I need 4-6 in thick flooring.I was drilling into the floor to anchor one of the post and
found I only have 2-2 1/2 thick flooring. I've opened the floor 3Ft Sq can any one tell
me, if i need to go bigger and how deep i need to go to support that stand.Max height for car lift is 4 ft. total lift wt is 6,000 lb so about 3,000 aside to lift.
Talked to lift com. person said 3ft sq by 12ft deep that just doesn't seam like it will
support the wt. or angle. maybe wt. not angle. HELP
Old 11-14-2009, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

What kind of lift is it? Two post?

A 3'x3'x12'' pad should work as sugested, but it might be tough with only 2 1/2'' to drill into. You may want to go deeper to be sure.

How deep are the garage footers?
Old 11-14-2009, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know if the garage has any footers.I was thinking about cutting the slab 4'x8'or10' and
going down 10 or12" deep putting the two post on that ,maybe overkill, but I don't think the anchor bolts will pull out.
It's a two post lift to see it go to MaxJaxusa.com
Old 11-14-2009, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
SAIGON 68

Garage
Each post wants a 3' x 3' x 1/2" mild steel plate,,, no digging.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
FIRST make sure you don't have a post tension concrete slab before cutting into it - shouldn't be, but most of the current slabs we build out here are, look for a stamp in the concrete warning not to drill or cut...

the mfg requirements are ususally over engineered, but I would be more comfortable with a slab closer to the 4" min. rather than 2.5". Going with a 3'x3'x12" shoud be sufficient but as suggested be sure to tie into slab, find a struct engineer friend and ask about the plate suggested by wishbone (definatley an easier route just need to spread load). Be sure to use a quality epoxy for the bolts, we use simpson and it's avial at Home Depot or Lowes.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm a Structural Engineer, so let me shed some light on this.

Small pads or even a good 4" slab is fine for a 4 post lift, when you go with a 2 post it's a whole new ballgame. If the center-of-gravity (CG) of the load is not directly over the lift posts you create an imbalance condition we Engineers call Overturning Moment (OM) due to eccentricity. In other words, the lift falls over. We keep this from falling over by the strength of the anchor bolts, the mass of the slab and the soil below the slab. The slab has to be deep enough to fully develop the strength of the anchor bolts, also the slab has to be heavy enough to counter act the OM, and the slab has to reinforced sufficiently so it doesn't break in half in the process. Think of a kids basket ball goal with water filled base to keep it from falling over.

That said, in most retail oil changing centers that use 2 post lifts you'll find something like a 6' x 10' pad, 9"-12" thick with #4 bars (1/2" dia) at 12" on center each way set in the center of the slab depth. Center the pad on the posts with the 10' dimension parallel to a line drawn through the posts. Use isolation material between the pad and the remaining slab to allow the new pad to move a little without effecting the old slab as you load and unload the lift.

And this is really depends upon the soil conditions in your area. Here in Colorado my house is on piers and grade beams, and the expansive clay soil can barely support the plain slab.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Ha, I figured with enough of us giving you dumb advice that someone in the know would chime in.

I say do it right, do it once...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
also, I know there is different "PSI" rated concretes out there...

I can't remember the specs, but, I would look at that, too...
Old 11-17-2009, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
also, I know there is different "PSI" rated concretes out there...

I can't remember the specs, but, I would look at that, too...
Typical 3000-3500 psi concrete will be fine.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: