Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
passenger rear area(wheel I think) howl and grind?????

so I was driving easily around 40mph and suddenly a loud clanking noise in passenger rear wheel area . Sounded like I ran over debris but I checked and nothing on the rear view mirror. Noise went away and came back later as I slowed to a stop light. Thought maybe something caught under the car or rear wheel. Stopped but nothing. Drove off again. noise starts as I go around 10mph up to 35 or so and is louder when I let off gas and hit gas again but went away when I drove faster. However it is now much worse at those slow speeds and its a howling screeching noise with occasional rough grinding and it cycles in harmony with the passenger rear wheel's spin speed. Is it my cv joint or wheel bearing???? Sh#$%t , I just got this car!!! Its 25 years old so I understand but I want to drive it!!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've had lots of wheel bearings go over the years. Usually happens on cars that do not get driven enough. What you hear is exactly what i heard many years ago on the first rear wheel bearing failure. Since then I know enough when i hear that noise getting worse, as you describe it, to call a flatbed unless I'm just a few miles from home. One time late at night I pushed a little far and the housing had to be removed ( lots of exta expence) and machine work was required.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-19-2009 at 11:48 AM..
Old 12-19-2009, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
cool. i made it home as I was only a few miles. I hope nothing else went bad!!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Check your rear e-brake shoes as well. Might get lucky and that's all it is.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidigonzo View Post
cool. i made it home as I was only a few miles. I hope nothing else went bad!!
You should be OK as when the machine work was required I must have had over 20 miles to go.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Is it more prominent when cornering?
I Lost 2 rear wheel bearings over the years and each time the noise (howling) increased with cornering.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
Is it more prominent when cornering?
I Lost 2 rear wheel bearings over the years and each time the noise (howling) increased with cornering.
Yes, when you load the wheel ( turn left ) the right will make more noise or on a road with a crown that shifts the weight the wheel with the most weight will usually respond with more grinding / screetching.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Check the CVJs too. Sometimes the rubber boots crack loosing the grease and shortly after the grinding begins...
Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on random e-brake parts circulating
Old 12-20-2009, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: