Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

C2 Turbo intercooler dimensions wanted.

Can anyone tell me the thickness, width, and run of a 91-94 C2 Turbo intercooler core?

Also, is it bar and plate or tube & fin?

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pretty sure it is tube and fin...I know that it feels like it is half the weight of the Garretson/Andial unit it replaced.

If no one posts, I will gets measurements tonight
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup

Last edited by rsrfan; 02-11-2010 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2010, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a 94 intercooler sitting in my office. I will measure it and weigh it tomorrow and report the numbers. Tate
1974 911 RS Euro Metallic Blue Gold lettering
1991 Brumos 3.6 Turbo Pikes Peak Zwart Motor
Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

22 7/8 X 7 7/8 X 2 5/8

Hope this helps...
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That is about 60 sq inch's of core end surface area.

It looks like a tube and fin, however if is was a bar and plate of the same size it would be good for up to 1100 cfm using Bell IC cores as a reference.

Tube and fin should be some percentage of that. Still, it should be good for most high hp 3.3's.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I still use the OEM intercooler on my '91 Turbo - at 17psi it supports 480rwhp! (440rwhp at low boost) It's been running well for about 15k miles now.

To be fair, though, the tuner recommended it as an item to upgrade...
Old 02-15-2010, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I don't mean to be a spoiler here but, ............
CFM doesn't mean a whole lot, in fact it doesn't mean squat unless you also include temp. delta's(inlet vs outlet) at various pressures......efficiency.

I'd rather have a 600CFM IC with a 95% efficiency than a 1000CFM IC with a 80% efficiency.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

JB,

Fun stuff. What is the rest of your build? EFI? If CIS how are you getting fuel?

I would put in / out pressure differential gauge on it to find out if it is creating a restriction.

Until that is the case I would not replace it. Most aftermarket I/C's are not going to be as well ducted and I suspect as efficient. They can also add volume and a bit to lag. We have probably the best end tanks of any 930 IC.

An in/out temp gauge would be a good thing to try to.

I am guessing the stock IC is as good as the Koklen or a little better. intercooler

Porsche with Andial in 1992 had an upgrade (S2) where they removed the stock core and welded in a thicker bar and plate core. This was to qualify this mod for and IMSA class they wanted to run. Thus, there may be something to an upgrade.

Another good think about the C2T IC is the turbo to IC conection. It transitions cleanly and is formed on the inside so there it a minimal disruption of air flows at its two connections for less pressure gain.

I had one and can not tell you if it helps. One of the nice things about the stock tube&fin IC is cooling air can get through it easier and that is one of our challenges where we can not put it in the on coming air stream.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Here is a link to the Kokeln intercooler site. He has some stats on different IC's.

Also shows temp and pressure drops.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hi 911,
Apologies for the slow response - my build is more mild than many on here. I have the Turbo S 3.6 cams, BB headers, Garret GT35R turbo, high flow cat, MSD ignition and an AEM standalone engine management system.

I haven't decided whether I'll try to increase performance any further. Honestly, I've been having plenty of fun with the car with the boost under 1 bar!
Best,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
JB,

Fun stuff. What is the rest of your build? EFI? If CIS how are you getting fuel?

I would put in / out pressure differential gauge on it to find out if it is creating a restriction.

Until that is the case I would not replace it. Most aftermarket I/C's are not going to be as well ducted and I suspect as efficient. They can also add volume and a bit to lag. We have probably the best end tanks of any 930 IC.

An in/out temp gauge would be a good thing to try to.

I am guessing the stock IC is as good as the Koklen or a little better. intercooler

Porsche with Andial in 1992 had an upgrade (S2) where they removed the stock core and welded in a thicker bar and plate core. This was to qualify this mod for and IMSA class they wanted to run. Thus, there may be something to an upgrade.

Another good think about the C2T IC is the turbo to IC conection. It transitions cleanly and is formed on the inside so there it a minimal disruption of air flows at its two connections for less pressure gain.

I had one and can not tell you if it helps. One of the nice things about the stock tube&fin IC is cooling air can get through it easier and that is one of our challenges where we can not put it in the on coming air stream.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: