Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Question Storing a 930 for several months .... how to keep it in good shape?

I have some fam probs going on and may have to store the 930 for a while (right in the middle of driving season).

What is recommended to keep the car in good shape while in storage? I can start it and run the motor every month or two, but if I put it up on blocks, I probaby won't be driving it.

My plan so far is:
  • Put the car up on stands to get the weight off the tires and suspension.
  • Add some fresh gas and fuel stabilizer.
  • Clip on a battery trickle charger.

Is there anything else? What is the best kind of fuel stabilizer out there?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

When I went to Iraq for a year I put my Tundra on jack stands, added STABIL to the highest octane fuel I could get, and changed the oil and filter. Didnt have an outlet for the trickle charger but it started up first try when I got back after the year. I did get crappy gas mileage with year old fuel though.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
i would be tempted to leave the car on the ground, but park it on four pieces of 1-2" insulation foam (the pink or blue stuff). No flat spots with your tires that way.

+1 on the high octane fuel and stabilizer and battery on trickle charger. Put a cover on it so it doesn't get dusty. Oil change for sure.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

How long are you thinking? Months or Years? I think most of the winter storage stuff applies even for longer than a winter. But if you are talking a few years I'm sure there's more to be considered. Do a search on winter storage and you'll get tons of info.

As far as tires are concerned I'd park it on plastic and air them up to the max and that'll prevent flat spotting to.

+1 on Stabil with FULL tank of gas

float charger on battery

pop open the doors, trunk, engine lid

small blocks under wiper blades or just get new blades when out of storage

I like to store cars with a fresh oil change too

car cover

I wouldn't recommend starting it if stored for only a few months, may be different if it's years. Cold starts are the worst on engines. If it is years I'd start it every year or bi-yearly and have the time to warm it up to temp.

Good luck! You'll see more if you do the search...
Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Next month I will have had the beast Helga for 25 years. Never over 2k per year. Never less than getting her out on a run at least every 2 months. Nary a problem. Other than low life batteries
Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I usually store mine for 6 months in a damp, cold UK during the end of autumn, winter and early spring.

I put it up in the air on axle stands to avoid tyre flat spots, i always run the fuel tank really low before storage, then after storage put a fuel additive in to disperse any moisture then fill it up with the highest octane fuel i can get. I never run the engine during the lay-up period as i feel it causes unneccessary wear with cold starts, and i always do an oil and filter change AFTER it's been laid up as oil and fuel are hydroscopic and attract moisture in damp conditions. I also leave a trickle charger on to keep the battery in good shape.

Touch wood.....it always starts first turn of the key in spring time.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Thanks for the advice.

Is Sea Foam a good stabilizer?

I just changed the oil out. I have some older fuel in the tank and thinking I'm going to drain that out first, then add a few gallons of premium with fuel stablizer. I have a Battery Tender to trickle charge the batt.
It will be setting probably until next spring or early summer.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Right now my car has been in storage since June 6 as I recover from hip surgery. All I did was make sure that the tires were aired up and dressed with Armour All, plug in the battery tender, treat the leather in the interior and drop the desiccant bags back in the back seat.
Since it's summer and I will drive my car again in August, the summer blend gas in the fuel tank won't go bad by then.
If I were storing for the winter I would just make sure that I had some winter blend gas in the fuel tank as it won't go bad in the cold environment. Maxx, in your case you should definitely add stabilizer to your fuel since you won't drive your car again this year.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 06-27-2010, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Isn't it better to fill the gas tank to minimize condensation and prevent rust? That's what I've always heard. Plus something like Stabil.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Isn't it better to fill the gas tank to minimize condensation and prevent rust? That's what I've always heard. Plus something like Stabil.
Yes a full tank is the way to go. Less surface area inside gas tank for condensation to form equals less water in the fuel. Keep it full with Stabil and you'll be fine.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
Yes a full tank is the way to go. Less surface area inside gas tank for condensation to form equals less water in the fuel. Keep it full with Stabil and you'll be fine.
I agree if you want to store longer than a winter season. I routinely have stored cars over a winter with 1/2 tank or less and had no issues.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
I agree if you want to store longer than a winter season. I routinely have stored cars over a winter with 1/2 tank or less and had no issues.
Me too, but I try not to do that as much as possible. But in the event I do leave it 1/2 tank or less I'll try to remember to fill the tank with fresh gas and run a bottle of dri-gas through it too.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: