Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Throttle position sensor

I have an error message from my Electronic engine management system "Throttle sensor Failure".

Does a stock 1986 have a throttle position sensory? If so where is it located? If it's not stock where are these generally mounted?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

I believe your car has a throttle position switch with 3 or so positions for off, partial and full sensing.

I believe it is located either on the throttle body itself (connected to the throttle plate shaft) or behind the accelerator pedal.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks John.

I got a few pictures that Might be the sensor. help identifying these components would be great. I'll post a few at a time, Some I think I know but that's different from being SURE!
PIC #1

PIC #2

This one just to show a an option of where to mount Coils
PIC #3

Last edited by EmptyGarage; 08-13-2010 at 06:01 PM..
Old 08-13-2010, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oops got wrong picture...but What are those sensors? here is one I meant to add Call it pic 4
Old 08-13-2010, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Pic #1 - (L to R) remote oil temp sensor, oil pressure sensor.
Pic #2 - aftermarket manifold pressure sensor for ignition timing.
Pic #3 - nice picture of 12-plug coils.
Pic #4 - relocated throttle position sensor.

It will be almost impossible to diagnose the error code because the engine management system was designed for a stock engine. You have anything but stock. I hope you have access to the PO, or if you did this yourself, all the manuals and diagrams.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just asked about stock because I thought that throttle sensor might be a stock item. car equiped with DTA EMS that is displaying error.

I need to check throttle sensor for malfunction. where will I find specs for that sensor?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Would this throttle sensor come with the DTA EMS package or be a purchased unit ..I do not see a brand name or model number?

Any advice on how to check it for functionality?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm assuming for removal you would remove screws and just pull it straight out...or is that solder or a bonding agent holding it to a shaft?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

New at this so I'm thinking a step ahead. I will check software with car running to see that sensor is reading response, but even if works that time it seems that every time I turn car off and then restart the EMS has the "throttle Failure" warning.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Not an expert on this but here is my two cents.

First the factory 930 TPS will not work on an EFI system as it is more or less an on/off switch.

I suspect you should be able to test the TPS for faults with a Volt Ohm meter. Could be a bad connection and not the TPS.

Most likely they welded a shaped shaft extension onto the throttle shaft that fits the TPS. This shaft should slip into the TPS. Thus, you should be able to just remove the TPS and it should just slip off the shaft.

Note that the bolts behind the TPS might be three to act as spacers and might fall out when the screws are removed.

This is just a guess but could the TPS not be aligned properly and the range of values the ECU is receiving is not as expected?

Again, not my area of knowledge.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

After some poking and prodding around then some work with the car connected to computer I now see that the error was for an electronic throttle...which I don't believe my car has...I found a screen/function where you calibrate throttle position and could see that it was functioning and discovered that the software was referring to the sensor as a "throttle pot" which did not have a error message associated with it. So all is good.

But here are some other sensory I'd like to identify if any one would like to chime in.

PIC 5

And also this one
Old 08-14-2010, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Device with the red rubber boot is boost sender for factory boost gauge at bottom of your tach. The second pic is your idle speed controller, called a IAC (idle air control). It may not be controlling idle, so much as providing high idle during warm up. The small brass hex just above it in the picture is the air bypass which you can turn to adjust idle speed.

Your throttle position sensor (TPS) is a ford component if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Jim2; 08-14-2010 at 10:21 PM..
Old 08-14-2010, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've found a few more sensors and would like to know what these are. First is in manifold here is picture. Second picture has a few unused sensors.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
what type of system are you running..?

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
what? me worry?

The sensor on the manifold is an IAT inlet air temperature sensor.

The sensor in pic 4 is a TPS throttle position sensor.. It looks to be a generic GM sensor. Also it looks like someone welded a D to the throttle shaft so the GM sensor can be used.

Check all the connections, and check the resitance of the TPS it should vary with position. Dont think I have ever seen a failure of a TPS

If the TPS is shot, and happens to not be a GM part, you can always use a generic GM part since you will have to recalibrate system for the new sensor, which is very easy to do

Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 11-05-2010, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: