Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
pulled threads on I/C mount

Take a look at this. The boss was heli-coiled, but not correctly and the I/C was not completely attached at the back. It blew the I/C off and pulled the heli-coil out. I think I am going to install a time-sert.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just had the same thing happen. I just put in a new helicoil and all is well.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

For my experience, the magnesium cast was cracked to where it wouldn't hold a coil any longer. So I just tapped the hole as best I could and installed (glued in) a stud.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
What about sleeving the outside with either an adjustable clamp or metal sleeve for reinforcement?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
installed a new helicoil last week, tiny tiny bit of JB weld...its all good.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post

YUP... Happened to me also...

Walt
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Seems like this happens alot with the B&B intercooler. I think the machining fixture they use over there needs to be tweaked and the castings revised so that the holes get machined in the center of the mounting bosses.
My B&B also has to be "persuaded" to get the bolt to line up with that hole in the bypass housing. I have never stripped or pulled a mounting bolt yet.

----- Maybe you guys are running too much boost and just yanking the studs right out of the threaded holes? Kidding.
Seriously though, there is alot of vertcal force trying to rip that intercooler of its mounts though. Figure 1bar boost acting on 2 circular areas of 3 inch diameter yields a force of about 102lbs trying to send the intercooler thru the decklid. Dont know if people realize this most times.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here's a shot of mine. You can see where the casting actually broke off at least an inch. I drilled through and past the break into solid metal, tapped, and inserted a threaded stud. Glued in with JB, it's been holding for several years now.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I really like the stud idea. Should make it easier to get everything lined up too. I may just have to try that trick!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I like the stud idea also, but I've already fixed it with a time-sert I had on hand.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Time sert FTW
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The stud thing I did out of desperation, but since I eventually did my unconventional McGiver'ish short-neck IC boost recirc manifold delete thing, that IC mount was just "floating" since that section of the recirculation manifold is no longer connected to anything other than the turbo intake hose and standalone BOV. But since that mounting point is critical to keeping your IC from flying off, I eventually built an additional bracket to sturdy things up. See the pict.
Sorry, a little off-topic, but I ran with the stud in the stock configuration for quite some time before further mods.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: