Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Bright Green Newbie questions

I am the new owner of my first Porsche, a 1988 930 Cab.

Worked great last fall, put to bed over the winter with fuel stabilizer. Did a little maintenance work over the winter: Air and fuel filters, new plugs. Now have a max turbo boost hesitation and a week ago it started stalling when the engine warmed up (unable to maintain idle). Takes a few minutes downtime before it restarts, but still will not idle when hot.

Going through the "sticky" describing the failure to start issues and noticed a few things that I hope someone can shed some light on.

1. The manual says the Turbo only has one fuse in the engine compartment left side (Heated rear window, rear wiper return) except I have a Cab so obviously don't have these. I do have two fuses, both 25A (different colors though so what gives there?). 3 red wires, one feeds both fuses which have a buss bar across them on that side, the other two leave the other side with one heading towards the front, the other vanishing into a wire bundle. Question: What are these circuits?? The Carrera has 2 fuses for heater blowers (1 25A and 1 16A). Could it be for heater blowers????

2. While pulling out the fuse panel, I noticed two orphan plugs: One looks an awful like the plug that goes into the O2 sensor but that is already plugged in (see pic). The other is a square plug. Question: what are these?? are they just orphans from a standard wire harness that is used across multiple markets and models therefore has these orphans lying about?

3. In making sure all hoses are tight and leak-free, I found a red, small diameter hose coming from just above the butterfly. It goes around the engine to the firewall but just hangs in space in the engine compartment. Question: is this supposed to be there just sucking ambient engine compartment air in or has it come unplugged from someplace (cam;t see where).

Many thanks for any input. Really enjoying joining the "pelican flock".

Old 06-02-2012, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

For question #3 - look at the second diagram in this link . . . I bet this is the hose that goes from the throttle body to the thermal valve (#7) . . . this is part of the cold start circuit . . .

Need some help, Vaccum lines and fuel line

JFairman does a good job of explaining what this component does in paragraph #5 of this post -

Help with vacuum/air lines

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 06-02-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Old 06-02-2012, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Red Vac Line

Thx Ronnie.

Sounds like you are right. Will check later today.

This car was originally from California and from what I can read, the line was probably disconnected by a PO post-emissions testing there. The car already passed Canadian emissions tests so I'm not concerned about that. I might re-connect it just to see if it helps my "won't idle when hot problem", although I'm thinking it won't.

..J
Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

One thing you will need to check is that if this hose is disconnected from the thermal valve, that a new/custom hose is running from the throttle body port to the distributor vacuum advance pot (or the vacuum advance mechanism will not work) . . .
Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Needed mirror-on-a-stick to find it, but located the spot where this plugged in on thermo valve. Looks all stock and everything seems in it's place and tight. Thx ronnie

Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
930 , boost , stall , turbo , wiring