Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

turbo newbie numbnuts seeking logical updates for 3.0's

okay so I just acquired a low mile original 3.0 turbo. I just got it fired up tonight and already I am seeing that the plastic airbox was not a great idea. it has cracks in the corners and feels brittle. while I want to keep this one as original as possible i also want to drive this car and would like some feedback to avoid some of the pitfalls/annoyances or their inadequacies of this fantastic car.

I saw a Zucs airbox for a K&N set up which makes sense since its a pita removing the original airbox.
where is a good place to look?

thanks for the input(s)

Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

a guess a foto is in order

Old 06-10-2013, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Go with stock. It should last for a long time.
14 535i M Sport
Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Go with stock. It should last for a long time.
stock airbox? plastic is already compromised and was the 77 metal? it still is a very tight spot to access to remove the box just to replace the filter or to prime the injectors.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hi - go all stock (and yes it was metal).
I have a 3.0 from 77, and its all stock, after some work I did, it runs so smooth, I can hardly believe it's that old.

Here would be my immediate checklist, before driving
1. change oil & oil filter, check for debris on the magnetic screws you take out for the change. If there's any, dont drive.
2. have someone run a leakdown test on your cylinders, and if off, check for broken or pulled headstuds

There is really good how to's in the Tech Info Center here on Pelican.

This is also a good tasklist to check for problems:
The Pre-Purchase Inspection by Peter Zimmermann - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Check in the marketplace discussion or on FerrariChat: 3.0's in good stock condition have recently sold well into 6 figures, so if you want to sustain value, keep it stock. And btw. an all stock car performs great, bites you in curves when not careful, but has a true race car feel to it..!

Good luck with the car - and more pictures please
Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

so a stock box for 76 was plastic and they quickly went to metal for 77... I guess its ok to go metal even if the plastic one was the original, they look identical so it wouldnt be a sacrilege to swap it.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Non User

Garage
Wow, no sunroof early car, rare find, nice period vanity plate as well. Looks like she'll cleanup, well. No suggestions on the air box, I have my original plastic, although its not brittle, still very plyable. I have 120k miles on her, surprised yours has issues from presumably heat at that low mileage.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

its a well documented 2 owner car with the second not really a Porsche guy who had to have a mechanic go up to his place to get it started twice during his ownership, I know both guys. I too find it odd too and believe its not heat however
the box is very nice and strait and not brittle as I said at first, it flexs ...its more like 2 little corner crack from I suspect struggling with the removal from an inexperienced person. I found it very tight at the top, anyone with a thicker hand could not manipulate the long 10mm screws, the access is very narrow and removal is sketchy at first.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats on the car...sienna metalic is the color? Looking that its a California car you'll still need to get it smogged. But try to take off the thermal reactors and run a later exhaust system. It'll drop your engine temps by 50 degrees F. And as mentioned change all the fluids and give it a tune up, plugs, rotor, wires. Curious if the thermal reactors are still on there, they're evil..,
Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Aircooled Breakfast

Very nice find! Yep, the air cleaner is a challenge but gets a bit easier each time. Moving the AC compressor helps gain access to that side of the engine compartment. Definitely inspect the exhaust system. The "J" pipe is very prone to cracking. Does it still have the thermal reactors? I assume it might or maybe replaced with the "W" pipes? Since it's been sitting a long time you may want to verify that the waste gate is not stuck. I have number 507 and have been thru most of it. Would be glad to share what I've learned along the way and any pictures that may help. Have fun! -John
Old 06-11-2013, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

No thermal reactors and engine was resealed in 2004 before it went into storage. the air box you can see its not real bad but enough to warrant a repair or replacement.
do the metal boxes have this bracket holding the hose to the oil tank? that threw me for a loop for a minute, I could not see what it was, as i believed i had removed all that was holding it in place.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

seeing the last pic the riveted metal edge now looks bent and not flat like its twin on the other side...humm someone's been rough with this box. grrr...
Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Nice find, just curious was there no boost gauge in the tach that year? Welcome to the madness,let's see just how long you can hold out in not falling down the slippery slope with some mods to improve performance. An IC would be a good start along with removing the thermal reactors as others have already mentioned.Do you have a 914 also?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWFAT View Post
Nice find, just curious was there no boost gauge in the tach that year? Welcome to the madness,let's see just how long you can hold out in not falling down the slippery slope with some mods to improve performance. An IC would be a good start along with removing the thermal reactors as others have already mentioned.Do you have a 914 also?
damn the double nickel???whats that about?
yes 76 no boost gauge yet, by 77 they had them. I had several 914 10 years ago that's what got me started in the "madness" that is Porsche obsessing.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Ahhh, I thought you were a newbie? I think you'll do just fine... Yeah the air box was probably swapped out for another air cleaner sometime, oh I don't know, in the last 35 years. Nice to know the motor was resealed and had some work done. Any glaring issues, broken studs, eg., were hopefully corrected then... Yeah my airbox is all tin, no plastic here.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlobeck View Post
Ahhh, I thought you were a newbie? I think you'll do just fine... Yeah the air box was probably swapped out for another air cleaner sometime, oh I don't know, in the last 35 years. Nice to know the motor was resealed and had some work done. Any glaring issues, broken studs, eg., were hopefully corrected then... Yeah my airbox is all tin, no plastic here.

does your air box have that metal hose support for the larger hose like in my last foto?

btw love that ice green color you have, what color interior did it come with?

still a Turbo newbie, the one next to it lost its engine lonnng ago and the other 2 or just wide bodies with 12 plug 3.2 and a 3.6 in the white ST loghood
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
No metal hose support... I have a porsche factory service update for our cars but every photo of the engine shows it with the air cleaner off. My car has black interior. Going to add black-watch tartan to the seat inserts, if the leather will allow it.. I have an original bamberg radio Ive yet to install then the interior will be all stock..
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
On my 77 there is that metal support for the hose in the back, yes.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

reading from Peter Zimmerman's book the 76 would have originally come with 7 and 8 x 15", I sure do like the look of 8 and 9 x 15" on the car now. was this something many owners did at the time...go up in wheel size that is?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
My 76 had the bracket just like you show in your pic.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: