Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Would this setup make a good SC turbo build (260WHP)??

Hi fellow petrol-heads!

So I am going to build a a turbo engine based on my 3.0L engine. I have a 1980 Porsche SC, the US edition with 180HP. I want to build a turbo engine and step into the dark side!!

I am not in any way an expert but I know that a lot of you guys have been down this road and may have some good advice. And pointers for me to follow, and opinions regarding my build. But no it is not an option to sell the SC and buy a 930!!

This is what I intend to do:
- Swap the CIS intake with a 3.2 inlet
- Install a TEC3 engine management system
- Maybe use the K7/K9 turbo from RarlyL8 or the K7 7200 (opinions?)
- Do a custom or maybe just a stock 3.3 intercooler
- upgrade the head studs to 993TT
- Maybe upgrade the oil pump to a 965 (do I really need to change the SC pump?)
- Swap to 98mm Mahle cylinders
- Order JE pistons with 7.5:1 comp
- Use the SC camshafts
- Install 930 headers and dual muffler
- Use the stock SC heads but rebuild them

So this is what i got so far. Do you fellow pelicans think this would be a okey combo? My aim is about 250-260WHP. Realistic??

Last edited by 911-lightning; 03-07-2014 at 06:02 AM..
Old 03-07-2014, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
You dont need to lower compression to get 260 WHP. You can achieve that with your stock pistons and .5 bar boost and a simple bolt on setup.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
No first hand experience, but lots of reading here on pelican.

I like your goal. It is modest and will prevent some of the things that inevitably will follow once your start boosting, transmission brakes etc. that is until you start down the slope

Didn't the 1980 SC have 188hp? And a slightly higher compression than the 78-79 SCs?

If you need a 3.2 intake manifold, I have a pelican offer:

I will sell my 3.2 manifold to you for usd 600 plus shipping. At that price we each donate 50 bucks to Mark's fundraiser. I'll do that out of the sale price of $600
I hope this doesn't come across as weird, I don't need to sell the manifold, but this way I feel it would help a pelican more than just sitting on my shelf, also helping Mark on the way.

Good luck with your project.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i am amazed at how much power a 930 has even at .5bar.

your HP to $$ ratio is not good. you can do better for the same money and not turbo and you will have a car that is WAY more fun to drive.

when i was looking for a 930 a friend told me i would have more fun in a 911 with a 3.6 in it. after owning a 930 for a year, he was right. dont get me wrong, i love my 930. but when it gets fun it gets very fast, scary and very expensive if i get caught. put it this way, there is not a road around here that i cant get a speeding ticket on in 1st gear!

its the turbo lag. you cant get rid of it. the throttle response of the 3.6 will keep a smile on your face.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[] RUNNING:[_] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [_] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 03-07-2014, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
No first hand experience, but lots of reading here on pelican.

I like your goal. It is modest and will prevent some of the things that inevitably will follow once your start boosting, transmission brakes etc. that is until you start down the slope

Didn't the 1980 SC have 188hp? And a slightly higher compression than the 78-79 SCs?

If you need a 3.2 intake manifold, I have a pelican offer:

I will sell my 3.2 manifold to you for usd 600 plus shipping. At that price we each donate 50 bucks to Mark's fundraiser. I'll do that out of the sale price of $600
I hope this doesn't come across as weird, I don't need to sell the manifold, but this way I feel it would help a pelican more than just sitting on my shelf, also helping Mark on the way.

Good luck with your project.
Thank you for the offer but I have already bought the intake
And I don't live in the US I am sorry to say.

And no, not weird at all! It is important to give to charity

I think it is correct regarding the new comp. But they also made the airbox 3-4mm narrower and the same for the runners. At least my engine edition is only 180HP
Old 03-07-2014, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
i am amazed at how much power a 930 has even at .5bar.

your HP to $$ ratio is not good. you can do better for the same money and not turbo and you will have a car that is WAY more fun to drive.

when i was looking for a 930 a friend told me i would have more fun in a 911 with a 3.6 in it. after owning a 930 for a year, he was right. don't get me wrong, i love my 930. but when it gets fun it gets very fast, scary and very expensive if i get caught. put it this way, there is not a road around here that i cant get a speeding ticket on in 1st gear!

its the turbo lag. you cant get rid of it. the throttle response of the 3.6 will keep a smile on your face.
That may be so, but there is just something about chasing that turbo project dream
Old 03-07-2014, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
That's the advantage with working with low boost, higher compression and a 915 gearbox to begin with. It lessens the perception of turbo lag! Even though it still exists. Although I think the fun comes with the fear, diving a 930 hard and hugging the edge of disaster is what makes these cars fun to drive... Tickets??? Price of admission... Sadly (more like luckily) my tickets have all been while driving the slowest and least sporty vehicle I own at the time. I will say that I'm much more aware of what's going on around me when I'm in the 930...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 03-07-2014, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
.5 bar is all the boost you will need. You should have close to 300 WHP and if you do any more the 915 wont hold up. Just keep stock pistons, use your 3.2 intake, bolt on a turbo and go. (addressing fuel and ign of course)

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 03-07-2014, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
So keeping the 9.8:1 compression won`t give me problems like "ping"? Is the CIS piston a good choice with a turbo conversion? Just thought the JE flat base with grooves will be a better choice?

I am not schooled on the "ping" dangers and reason why this occurs but I`v heard this is a problem with the conversion? Or is this only a problem for those who don't use IC?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I added a turbo to my 1980 SC, although mine is a euro car. The euro 1980 SC should have 188HP with 8:5:1 I think.

Not had a dyno yet but had some side by side 'tests ' with some friends cars (Aston Martin Vantage V8 4.7, Renault GTA V6 turbo with 275 dyno HP)
I had the Renault, I could just about pull away from him.
The Aston was faster but not as much as your'd think, my slow change 915 box and turbo lag where the issue's, when the turbo came in he couldn't pull away from me.
My car is also lightened a bit but I'm thinking it must be aprox 270-300HP.

I stuck with CIS for now with a 930 WUR to handle fuel on boost. All works perfectly.
I may go to EFI later.

Also I'm running a standard 3LDZ turbo, so K27-7200 etc should give quicker spool up (another future upgrade).

You might find my build thread helpful.

Turbo Conversion on 3.0 SC Winter Project
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3

Last edited by gavinc69; 03-08-2014 at 10:08 AM..
Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

with a turbo "ping" correlates to $$$ more so than a NA engine. the ping you usuaully hear is detonation, when you start playing with turbo's you start dealing with the more deadly pre-ignition

9.8? i think i would stick with the 8.5

goto one of these sites that has an effective compression ratio calculator. play around with the static CR, boost and even intake valve closing time. i am not sure on this, but you might try to stay around 12:1. its pretty fun to mess with even if you ar not building anything.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[] RUNNING:[_] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [_] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 03-10-2014, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: