Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Click click click - oops

One for the database in case someone makes the same silly mistake.

Finally a nice day over the weekend so I was excited to put some break-in miles on the 930's fresh top end, suspension and tires. Half-way up the driveway and I hear a steady click, click, click. I continued to the flat street, same thing, but only under power. No change with amount of power, direct relation in frequency to speed.

After a couple of slow passes up and down the street, I was 100% convinced it was coming from the right front corner. Since I had all of the suspension off, my suspicion was a brake rotor shield or pad wear sensor wire. Taking a closer look it seemed like the meatier tires might have been hitting the oil cooler.

Remove tire, authoritatively reposition the oil cooler forward, tire back on and we're off. Click click click. 110% sure it's coming from the right front.

Wheel off, spin rotor over and over, no way it's hitting anything. Back and forth, side to side, definitely not a bearing, but there is a slight clunk if I just barely rotate it back and forth. Hmm...remove the pads, sound is gone. Ok, brake pads just need to seat back in after having been off with the calipers. I drove forward and back a few times, smashing the brakes. Sound seems to be gone. Sweet, let's pound some pavement. Click click click. Sheeeet!

I started to doubt my 110% confidence that it was the right front and enlisted my wife for a ride along. She was a trooper, pressing her ear against various areas of the interior. Her vote was for left rear, 125% sure.

Back to the garage to remove the LR, and what do I find? My carefully marked "LI" (left-inner) CV joint was installed left-outer. Dumb a$$!! I took apart both CVs and cleaned. Nothing was cracked and they both had the expected wear patterns, but nothing extreme. Repacked with fresh moly, reinstalled and voila, no more click click click.

Lesson learned: Pay attention to your markings during reassembly (duh!) and never assume a sound is coming from where you think it is.

P.S. The motor ran great and smoke-free even before the True Seal rings are fully seated. Fresh suspension will piss you off that you've been driving around for years on those old bushings and worn shocks!
83 SC Cab - Guards Red [SOLD]
Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: