Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need advice on strut inserts for '78 930/Boge struts.

I believe my '78 930 has Boge Struts (pictured). In my limited research it seems the only option for direct replacement are Boge Inserts? How are these for spirited street driving? Is there a Bilstein option that will play nice in the Boge strut housing? I don't mind paying for something decent but not looking to go full race etc. Would like to keep cost around or under $200/side. Looking to stay within the same budget for replacement rear shocks... anyone have opinions here? Looks like Bilstein has a direct replacement (Part #46169).

Looking to replace front strut inserts and rear shocks along with lowering the car and a fresh alignment in the next few weeks in anticipation of the nice weather!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by patina; 04-10-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Old 04-10-2018, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

In doing some research it seems Bilstein P36112 should work, can anyone confirm?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If they are Boge, then Koni adjustable sport inserts will work if still available. These have a single adjustment valve at the top of the shock. There is also a matching adjustable sport shock for the rear. They are painted yellow. This is what I have on my turbo. I modified a set of Boge struts from a 911SC by cutting the strut below the spindle and adding a section of pipe to raise the spindle and then cut out section at the top and re-welded the top section back together keeping the total length the same.

Did some checking, loos like they are still available, 8641-1039Sport (F) and 8210-1159Sport (R).
Old 04-10-2018, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap930 View Post
If they are Boge, then Koni adjustable sport inserts will work if still available. These have a single adjustment valve at the top of the shock. There is also a matching adjustable sport shock for the rear. They are painted yellow. This is what I have on my turbo. I modified a set of Boge struts from a 911SC by cutting the strut below the spindle and adding a section of pipe to raise the spindle and then cut out section at the top and re-welded the top section back together keeping the total length the same.

Did some checking, loos like they are still available, 8641-1039Sport (F) and 8210-1159Sport (R).
Dennis thank you for the feedback and I'm glad they worked for you! I am actually looking for a "plug and play" application keeping fitment modifications to a minimum.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hello Patrick,

There is a whole article about shocks & inserts via a pelican article. Simply search on Pelican Technical Articles "shock replacement". Boge struts accept a variety of different brand inserts in various levels of performance.

You will find all the info you need there.

Mark
Old 04-11-2018, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well, after doing some more research I have settled on the following part numbers.

Bilstein Sport Front Strut Inserts for 930 w/Boge - P36113
Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks for 930 w/Boge - B46975

Hopefully this helps anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation moving forward!
Old 04-11-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hello Patrick,

You should find those pretty good for a casual upgrade over the stock stuff. The sports tend to be a little bit harsh over mild, slow speed bumps, but improve as speed increases.

Mark
Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Patrick,

Just to clarify, the Koni sport inserts do not require any modification to install in a Boge strut. I modified my struts in order to raise the spindles to lower the car. I think you will be happy with the Bilstein inserts.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Hello Patrick,

You should find those pretty good for a casual upgrade over the stock stuff. The sports tend to be a little bit harsh over mild, slow speed bumps, but improve as speed increases.

Mark
Thanks Mark! This car gets driven very mildly on the street for the most part, although this slight upgrade may change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap930 View Post
Patrick,

Just to clarify, the Koni sport inserts do not require any modification to install in a Boge strut. I modified my struts in order to raise the spindles to lower the car. I think you will be happy with the Bilstein inserts.
Ah, thank you for the clarification Dennis - sorry for my confusion! I don't have anything against the Konis, I actually have them on my 951... for some reason Bilstein was just calling my name on this car. I really appreciate your feedback!

Old 04-11-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: