Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

In the process of rebuilding someone else's lousy rebuild - some questions

Good morning all!

So I took a semi-decent running engine and started some CIS troubleshooting which led to new wiring due to bad wiring to the WUR which led to cleaning up CIS air leaks and then pulling the motor to reseal some things, which led to splitting the case. People warned me of the slippery slope but here I am near the bottom.

During the engine tear down it was very apparent that this engine has been apart before and judging by how bad it was leaking possibly never machined properly.

Anyway the engine is a 75' and all the head studs are magnetic which means they are steel and have been replaced. I THINK there are time serts in the case already but not sure what to think of their quality of install due to other red flags in the reassembly.

The head studs are not the same height either, they vary a 1/4" or so.

A local Porsche shop offered to take the case, shafts, heads, etc and inspect it all and send out what needed to be machined/redone.

Should I go this route and let a shop handle it or just pull all the studs, send the case to Ollie's or someone similar and tackle it myself?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Old 07-16-2018, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The 75 head studs were originally steel. In the day, replacements were in dilivar to expand at the same rate as the aluminum cylinders when the case savers were installed.
But then i haven’t ever seen a 2.7 with broken dilivars.....
Bruce
Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat6pac View Post
The 75 head studs were originally steel. In the day, replacements were in dilivar to expand at the same rate as the aluminum cylinders when the case savers were installed.
But then i havenít ever seen a 2.7 with broken dilivars.....
Bruce
Thank you! The steel is original... I did not know that.

Maybe these are original then. Is it possible to tell if there is a time sert or case saver installed by these pics? Should I remove a stud to get a better pic?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Usually the inserts have a top ridge and stay just a hair above case level
Remove a stud, is the insert visable and magnetic?
Bruce
Old 07-16-2018, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Bruce,

I pulled 2 with ease. The threads are brass colored, and magnetic. Not sure what they are still. The studs came out easily with a pipe wrench type grabber. The 2 I removed could be reused though. Not sure if I should keep going and let the machine shop decide..

Old 07-16-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtrom View Post

Should I go this route and let a shop handle it or just pull all the studs, send the case to Ollie's or someone similar and tackle it myself?

Thanks in advance
Rob
Definitely send the case out.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The inserts are magnetic, they’re inserts then, as magnesium isn’t magnetic.
What do you expect from a shop, why not you open the case and see how it’s been cared for in the past.
Power wash the case, mike the crank or read the back of the mains to check for standard.
The heads and guides are the weak spot, have a valve job done.
Clean and loctite the studs to proper length 13x mm. Research correct length here.
Read the books because you lack experience not to reference.
Send the WUR to Tony to bless
Send the case across the country you get into a never never land that goes on for months.
You were running, you’ll run again
Bruce

Old 07-16-2018, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: