Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
2.8L build on a 5R case?

Posting this for a friend.

We have his stock 2.4 MFI with a 5R case out of the car for a complete rebuild. As always, there are several options. This is a street car, with occasional track use, but not a race car. Has 915 tranny. Will not be spending much time above 7000rpm, but then again....come track day.....

Currently sitting on the shelf:

1. Carrillo rods
2. SC oil pump
3. Hydraulic tensioners
4. S-cams
5. Ported an twin plugged 2.4 heads

Now, LN engineering offers a whole new world of C/P combinations.

87.5 or even 90mm slip-fit with 10.5 CR would make this a 2.5 or 2.7 pretty easy. But with 92mm he could go 2.8. Need to open up the spigots.

The questions is: With case servers and piston squirters, would you use this case for a hot street 2.8 build?

and: should we keep the MFI or go PMO carbs or maybe even EFI?

Money is not really an issue here, and he's in it for the fun of rebuilding your own engine and keeping the early hot rod spirit

Aim is +200 streetable ponies.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I’d go with the stronger 7r mag case with all the machine work or an aluminum sandcastle case if you can source one. If the 5r case is original to the car, I’d shelf it if it were me.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I’d go with the stronger 7r mag case with all the machine work or an aluminum sandcastle case if you can source one. If the 5r case is original to the car, I’d shelf it if it were me.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Having measured a huge number of mag cases and found a majority of (standard) cases with deformed sunk in spigot bore faces i would refrain from overboring a 2.4 case unless it is a 7R with reinforced spigot areas.
I know there are a lot of overbored 2.4 builds but on a long run i would fear it sinks even quicker when weakened in that area.
If there are good options for slip in solutions i would rather go that route and let go the last few cc's.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crummasel View Post
Having measured a huge number of mag cases and found a majority of (standard) cases with deformed sunk in spigot bore faces i would refrain from overboring a 2.4 case unless it is a 7R with reinforced spigot areas.
I know there are a lot of overbored 2.4 builds but on a long run i would fear it sinks even quicker when weakened in that area.
If there are good options for slip in solutions i would rather go that route and let go the last few cc's.
Perfect info - thank you. We'll go on with a 2.7 build with slip in C/P's.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: