Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
993 twin plug distributor in a SC 3.0

looking at building a twin plug motor with fuel injection, is it possible to use a 993 twin plug distributor in a SC 3.0?
Old 08-22-2018, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do you mean to use a 964 or 993 distributor in a 3.0 liter case with a standard or modified 3 liter crank?

I am not sure of the answer, so hopefully someone will chime in. As part of the answer, hopefully you will get some input on ignition systems... Dual MSD set ups are somewhat popular around here.

I do now know that in addition to belt failures, the 964/993 distributors can have bearing failures that can lead to BIG problems.

In my racing application with a 3.6-based engine, a 993 distributor bearing failure caused massive damage, including a broken crank.

The distributor I bought was used, and the belt was changed before it was put into service.

Of course you can buy remmaned 964/993 distributors from places like Pelican Parts. And I think you can find 964/993 bearings slightly outside the normal places-- do a search here. But note that taking the distributor apart and replacing the bearing(s) is very time consuming.

After my failure I decided to use a JB Racing distributor, which if I recall correctly is about the same price as a remanned 964/993 distributor. The JB Racing part is well made and has a great track record. And I think it is available via Pelican Parts.
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA
Old 08-22-2018, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you install the correct gear on the crank...yes.
805-240-6931
http://www.burnhamperformance.com
Old 08-22-2018, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURN-BROS View Post
If you install the correct gear on the crank...yes.
Yes the SC dizzy drive gear spins the wrong way, so you would have to replace the gear during the build before the crank goes into the case.

I swapped the gear in my 3.0 build because I picked up a patrick TP dizzy for cheap.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: