Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cam timing - punch marks

Everything I've read says that to time the cams that the punch / 930 / woodruff key should start off at the top.

As you can see I have all 3 at the top here. Im just wondering what the extra punch mark is for on the left hand side?

I know I have 3 out of 3 at the top, so i should be pretty safe - but the extra punch mark has me a little paranoid.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The quick reference punch mark is always at the factory keyway, start at Z1 with both keyways up, pin them to the sprockets and begin the timing process and set it with a dial indicator and/or degree wheel.
Mike Bruns
Old 03-11-2019, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBruns View Post
The quick reference punch mark is always at the factory keyway, start at Z1 with both keyways up, pin them to the sprockets and begin the timing process and set it with a dial indicator and/or degree wheel.
Mike Bruns
Thanks Mike. Is it possible the extra punch was done by the shop that ground the cams to show they have been reground?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2019, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

More than likely someone punched the parts thinking they could just put it back that way, cam grinders usually stamp grind numbers and dates to identify
Mike Bruns
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: