Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
72' 911S

Send a message via Yahoo to leadrsa729
My Engine has the Runs!

Hi All -

I recently finished my first engine rebuild over the winter months, and I was able to get through the first 20 minute break-in this weekend!!

Itís not all smiles though as I have a few leaks that are leaving about a baseball size puddle on the floor. Two leaks are coming from the valve covers - butís the upper valve covers not the lower. Is this odd? Iíve tightened them down a bit more but it still leaks, only after the car warms up does it start. After cool down they stop leaking.

Iím also leaking from the the timing chain covers, but I also think there is weeping coming from one of the bolts that holds a chain rail. How would I stop this one?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!
Old 03-10-2019, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'd just double check that all the nuts are tightened on the valve covers.

You could also try taking them off, cleaning them good, and test to see if they are completely flat. They shouldn't have any movement when face down on a smooth, flat surface (meaning, you should be able to rock them back and froth from pushing on the corners).

As for the timing chain covers. if you can find where the leak is coming from, you could probably just put some sealant around that specific edge. Maybe the gasket didn't properly mate with the surface at that area.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The chain rail in the chain box pins are press fit then covered on the exterior with like JB Weld.
The left side you can see and reseal from underneath. The right side is more challenging.
Bruce
Old 03-11-2019, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
these gaskets for the valve covers will not leak
....if you tighten the nylock nuts (use new ones every time you remove them) to the correct 3 ft lbs. Very light on the torque so the gasket doesn't tear.

Chain boxes leak on mine too. I should have used curil t there on both sides of the gaskets but didn't. Oh well, its a slow leak on mine. Biggest kick in the nuts is that they require chain sprockets to be removed so cam timing would need to be redone to correct.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
911 2.2 T targa

You can order silicone valve-cover gaskets at our host. They are thicker and more robust for uneven surfaces
Old 03-11-2019, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: