Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
/ˈpɔrʃə/ PORSH-ə Fan

SC Heads look good enough?

Can you tell me opinions on the state of these heads and valves? I dropped the engine in my '82 SC Targa to clean up some leaks and prepare the engine for a Bitz Kit EFI. I plan on using the CIS runners and modified stock central plenum.

I'm at the point I either leave the heads on and replace all the gaskets I can to fix the leaks or pull the heads off for valve guides, cleaning, etc. I ended up with 4 broken exhaust studs, but I have the Stomski kit and used it on another car with success so I think I will be OK doing that myself.

Car is supposed to have 88K miles, but TMU as I got no records when I got the car recently. I'm trying not to slide down the slippery slope of project scope creep, but I don't want to be foolish either.

Some of the shiny silver bits in the exhaust ports are from when I cut off the rusty heat exchangers before removing the nuts for easier access. I vacuumed inside before flipping the engine over, but some pieces still got in the there sticking to the carbon buildup. Since the pics, I got a really small attachment on my vac and got almost all the shiny bits I could.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to brighton911
Judging by the buildup on the exhaust valves , I say keep going and get the heads done. With the heads off, you will be able to at least see the bore condition and go from there. And if Dilivar cylinder studs are on the bottom, replace with steel. Once you start....
Old 03-19-2019, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A valve job is one of the few places that make a valuable change for reasonable money, and 88k its time.
Bruce
Old 03-19-2019, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
That's cruddy exhaust valves! At least two of them seems to leak a substantiation amount of oil.
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
/ˈpɔrʃə/ PORSH-ə Fan

Thanks for letting me know. I don't have anything to compare them to as I'm unsure how much "normal" buildup there would be. I agree, two of them look like oil crud beyond just carbon buildup. The cam surfaces, rockers, etc. look great. No broken head studs either.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUFTKUL View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I don't have anything to compare them to as I'm unsure how much "normal" buildup there would be. I agree, two of them look like oil crud beyond just carbon buildup. The cam surfaces, rockers, etc. look great. No broken head studs either.
Check if the lower head studs are dilavar (non magnetic) or if someone has replaced them already. If you remove the heads and still have dilavar, change them out even if they ain't broken.
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 03-19-2019, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
If you have the engine out to update with an ems Id at least do a top end on it. The seats can get pretty oblong from shot guides over time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
And in case you don't know, send a PM to Craig (cgarr, above) and arrange to have him do your heads.

His reputation for quality and value is second to none.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Craig does beautiful cylinder head rejuvenations. Straight-shooter to deal with. John
Old 03-20-2019, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Do them, the SC is a stout engine but known for for guide wear and head stud issues.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
/ˈpɔrʃə/ PORSH-ə Fan

If anyone has Craig's (cgarr) contact info can you please PM me? I PM'd cgarr but haven't heard back.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUFTKUL View Post
If anyone has Craig's (cgarr) contact info can you please PM me? I PM'd cgarr but haven't heard back.
email: garrett@iserv.net
Old 03-28-2019, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: