Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Oliver

Garage
SIR Tools Update

Does anyone know the status of SIR Tools?

I read they were located in Paradise, CA and have been closed since the CAMP fire had devastated the town. There was a message on another vendors website that SIR Tools survived the fire and would be resuming shipments in the near future.

Is there any more information available? I have noticed most of the online Porsche vendors are running low or are out of stock of these specialty tools.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Funny you should mention them.
I recently got one of their cam tools and it was the biggest waste of money I've spent on my engine rebuild. It did not fit - there was no way it was ever going to fit. The prongs to fit into the cog, weren't installed into the tool straight and the actual pipe part that's supposed to go around the cam washer wouldn't fit over the washer. Spend about 2 hours grinding the tool down with a dremel before it would fit and even then the fit is terrible. I know another person that had the same experience.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
Funny you should mention them.
I recently got one of their cam tools and it was the biggest waste of money I've spent on my engine rebuild. It did not fit - there was no way it was ever going to fit. The prongs to fit into the cog, weren't installed into the tool straight and the actual pipe part that's supposed to go around the cam washer wouldn't fit over the washer. Spend about 2 hours grinding the tool down with a dremel before it would fit and even then the fit is terrible. I know another person that had the same experience.
Same.

I know my Dad worked with them a decade ago to redesign their wheel bearing puller that maybe worked on a Chevvy not the 930 it was sold for......krrrrappp!
'86 no-sunroof 930 coupe: Emissions removed, FrankenCIS controlling eWUR, lambda, COP ignition, and EBC. SC cams, K-27/29, Tial 0.8bar, TK Longneck intercooler, RarlyL8 headers and dual-outlet hooligan
'14 Jaguar XK-R: Bullet proof windscreen, rotating number plates (valid all European countries), martini mixer, whatever you do don't press this red button!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: