Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Anthony

3.2 P&C's on stock CIS SC3.0 engine?

Hello,

First post (of what's likely to be many in the near future)

I've started an engine rebuild on my '81 911SC Targa after finding three broken head studs during a valve adjustment. Have it on the stand and almost down to the long block.

My initial plan was to just conduct a top-end rebuild, but I've decided to 'at least' pull apart the crank case in order to reapply the sealant, as it's a source of one of the [many] oil leaks - will then likely observe the crankshaft at that point and check for any wear.

I'm planning out some upgrades ahead of time. I've for sure decided on new head studs (obviously), the SSI exchangers, and oil-fed tensioners.

Debating on what else I want to upgrade... Money isn't really a concern, just want a good quality, long-lasting engine with a little 'pep'.

It's not a track car, but everyone likes a little more speed. It's not a daily driver, plus, I live in Alaska, so only driving it ~5 months out of the year (at most). In short, it gets very few miles compared to most cars.

I've been researching the CIS 3.2 Mahle P&C sets. Wondering what all is required if I were to install these? I've read the Weber upgrade goes well with new P&C's, but I would really like to keep the CIS.

I've been researching Wayne and Bruce's books extensively, Wayne mentions in his book that it is just "plug and play".

Some of the forums have stated that upgraded cams (typically 964 spec) are required.

Is that true that I need 964 cams? Can I have my existing stock cams machined to 964 spec (read that elsewhere on the forums)? Most importantly, is it worth the trouble?

Oh by the way, I'm a newbie to all of this.

Thanks for reading and helping out, appreciate it!!

Old 07-10-2019, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Welcome,
3,2 short stroke is cylinders opened to 98 mm and JE or other pistons.
3.2 Carrera pistons will not work in your application, it would work requiring crank, rods, and P/C s to make 3.2. With those parts, you could make 3.4.
C2 cams are a choice thing, you can buy new, regrind, or just use the SCs you have. Another option is 20/21s
With JEs you and advance the cam timing upward because there is valve clearance.
Bruce

Last edited by Flat6pac; 07-11-2019 at 04:16 AM..
Old 07-11-2019, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , mahle , piston and cylinder set