Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Best case for stock 2.2S?

Stock MFI 2.2S motor, what is the best case to use? MFI, no mods, not historically important...
Old 12-10-2003, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
GAFB

Small-spigot 7R mag case if you can find one. An early 2.0 case (sandcast aluminum) would be even stronger (and harder to find). For a stock/street 2.2S motor, probably overkill.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What years/models were those two cases installed in, dtw? Small-spigot 7R in 73T-CIS? Sandcast Al case: '64-68??? How much lighter is a 7R than the early 2.0 case? The early 2.0 case does not have oil squirters, correct? If the engine did not have oil squirters, would this affect anything long-term? 2.2S high-CR p's and c's will be used. I want the car to sound like the one in 'Le Mans'. The 2.2 I've heard is revvier, and I like that, but is it wise to build a high-CR 2.4S motor? Will the sound/other characteristics be changed, other than more torque, power? How much torque should I expect from a stock 2.2S? High-comp 2.4 torque? Lots of questions. Thanks
Old 12-13-2003, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
GAFB

Those years sound about right- too early in the morning to dig through books. I have only seen the sandcast cases on stands and in cars; never lifted one. I really wouldn't consider the Al case an option for your application. It would need significant machine work and is overkill for a street motor. (Yes you do need the oil squirters, they drop piston temps at least 50 deg.).

Do a search on the "sport muffler" to hear some nice engines with sport mufflers. There's nothing better than the sound of those! Can't answer your torque questions with hard numbers, but I would advise you pull out the Bruce Anderson book and review some of the torque curves.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Small spigot 7R cases were the 73' CIS, and some late 73' E and S motors as well. Aluminum cases were 65' thru 67'. In 68' they went to mag. Piston squirters were first installed in 71'.

I think the small spigot 7R case would be ideal for your application but any of the 72'/73' 4R/5R cases would be fine too. Preferably from a T motor as they tend to survive better and require less work.

As for making free reving motors. You can also accomplish this by other means than just a short stroke. Lightweight forged pistons,chrome-moly rods and lightened flywheel/pressure plate are some possibilities.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 12-13-2003, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
No Expert

Garage
356KarmannSUPER,

The early sand-cast aluminum case is about 22lbs heavier that the early mag cases. Any good 911 machine shop will be set-up to convert these for competition use (add squirters, oil bypass mod, intermediate shaft bearing, etc.) I know several guys that swear by these cases, but they are hard to find. They are certainly more durable than a mag case.

JP
Old 12-14-2003, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: