Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
im about to embark on the dearest engine build of my life, a 400hp 3.3 turbo (if my wife knew how much id sunk into this engine id be shot, in fact, she don't even know ive got another porsche engine! i feel terrible.......). Its my second build, the first was an expensive mag case disaster (only replaced the damaged stud threads, put it together, two more studs on the other side pulled.) The first thing i bought for the turbo engine was waynes book. the second thing i bought was bruces book. the 911 engine rebuilding forum is the only 'shop' im going to contact. im sure that everything i need to know will be in the books and im sure that if/when i get stuck, one of the blokes here will help me out.
im not going to pull the plugs on my engine, im going to clean it with everything i can get my hands on and be as thorough as i can. thats good enough for me. if it fails or starts to loose press after 10-15 thousand miles i'd have already had shiit loads of fun so ill quite happily pull it apart and build it again. (anyway i quite enjoy engine builds, does anyone else?)

Andy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 08-21-2004, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

I did speak with someone today who mentioned (and agreed with me) that if you don't get someone super-qualified to clean the plugs in the crank and the case then that behavior is "risky."

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 08-21-2004, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Thanks all! Live and learn. This board has been great. This happened may be two months ago, so I've had time to cool down. It is not worth the negative karma to dwell on it. If the money holds out, and I can manage the time, I'll be driving her next summer. Many thanks to those on this board who have helped. We all must go forward. "What does not destroy me, makes me stronger". About 10 years ago, a young girl driver ran a red light, actually turned left in front of me and I submarined the car under her old Suburban. Nobody got hurt. Funny thing was I never got angry. Nobody could figure out why I wasn't livid. "It's just a car." Those of you with kids know what I mean. Onward.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Thanks for all of the good info guys!
www.ford.com
Old 08-23-2004, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: