Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Shroud Vent Hose

Does anyone know where the other end of the hose that is connected to the fiberglass shroud goes? The best I can tell from my pictures is the connection pictured (off the CIS box). Iíve spent the day replacing hoses and trying to retrace my steps . . . Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-11-2004, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You're going to have to be more specific, I can't tell which hose you are talking about. On my SC there is no hose going from the fiberglass shroud. Is it the one underneath the #1 cylinder intake runner?

If your talking about the large hose that goes from the crankcase vent, it goes to the oil tank.

Any chance you can add an arrow to the hose you are wondering about?
Old 09-11-2004, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sam,

Thanks for the response. I've managed to wrap myself around the axel on this one. Below are pictures with circles around the areas that I think should be connected.

Charley Chestnutt
Old 09-11-2004, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm not sure but I think the line from the shroud sends air to the charcoal vapor recovery doda in the front of the car. There should be 2 lines about that size that come from the firewall area of the car. I think the other line goes to the air box somewhere (maybe the fitting you've shown). The idea is that air will flow from the shroud to the charcoal canister, pick up fuel vapor and then send the air with the fuel vapor back to the air box to be ingested by the engine.

There is also a place where a breather line from the oil tank hooks up to the air box for essentially the same purpose.

-Andy
Old 09-11-2004, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

on my '78 SC there is a hole in the exact same place. There were not any hoses near it, nor anyplace that needed a hose. I see yours has some kind of fitting there. I was wondering what went there. It was kind of hard to beleave there would be a hole there for no purpose.
I dont know what's susposed to hook up there, however I would like to know
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 09-12-2004, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the pointers. Just to be clear, Iíve taken a picture of the charcoal canister. There are two hose connections, about the size of the one from the engine shroud. One of the large connections goes to the engine shroud and one from the air filter housing, correct?

Charley Chestnutt
Old 09-12-2004, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Mystery Connection

By the way, the mystery connection (picture next to the breather cover) is blocked. My neighbor came over and stuck his finger in it. Turns out, that it's sealed-off. I guess it must be used for an option that my car doesn't have.

Charley
Old 09-12-2004, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I wouldn't bother hooking up the charcoal canister unless you have to pass a smog inspection.

-Andy
Old 09-12-2004, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: