Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

rocker shaft ? and help please

while changing valve cover gaskets this is what I find;

I'm at a loss of what I am able to do, can I reseat the rocker shaft w/out tearing totally into the engine?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 09-20-2004, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Get 5mm and an 8mm allen wrench. Loosen up the 5mm bolt. Push the rocker back into place. Re-tighten. Put about 18 ft/lbs on it by guesstimation.

It was probably loose to begin with and worked it's way out. Shouldn't require any major work to fix.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'd yank the rocker shaft and take a look at the rocker arm and cam housing bore to see if there's any damage. If that's the way the engine was running, the rocker was pivoting on less than half the length of the shaft. That could have beat up the bore in the housing.

If the damage isn't too severe, you could install the factory O-rings on the shaft, hope the shaft stays in place and see if the temporary fix contains any potential oil leaks.

Sherwood
Old 09-20-2004, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

we got the 8mm/5mm rocker shaft bolt loose, now do I need to loosen the rocker arm to get the shaft out? it just seems really tight.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'd probably either rotate the cam so there's no pressure on the rocker and/or loosen the adjuster screw. This will ensure there's no pressure on the rocker when you're trying to push the shaft back in place (or pull it out).
Old 09-20-2004, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

got the rocker off, inspected, put it back, tightened everything back up, new gasket. All is good. My engine clicking is gone also. Thanks for all the help
jerry
Old 09-20-2004, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I just fixed mine this weekend. I'm guessing that I didn't have it torqued properly to begin with after the rebuild. I didn't pull it out and inspect but probably should have.

My procedure was to turn that piston to TDC. That took all tension off the rocker. I then loosened the valve adjuster screw. I was then able to move the rocker pivot back to where it was suppose to.

According to Wayne's book, I only tightened the 5mm side. Not sure why you don't do the 8mm or both, but learned my lesson from rebuilding the engine to just follow what Wayne says in his book. Tightening the 5mm side pulls the bolt tight.

I'll have mine out on the road in a couple of days (waiting for valve cover gaskets) and it it happens again, I'll pull the rocker pivot and replace.
1982 SC Targa (Sold)
Old 09-21-2004, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: