Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to jakev
Porsche Crest Starter ring attached to Clutch Assembly?

So, I happily working away on my engine, and I noticed that the starter ring appears to be attached to the clutch assembly. Actually, the clutch assembly is not per Wayne's book at all. So, what gives. I've attached a picture. Any body seen this before?

Old 10-03-2004, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

well, yes. perfectly normal. it taps off after removing the pressure plate. don't forget to put it back on the new p/plate.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I still don't get it. According to Wayne's book. there are some 13 mm bolts that I remove from the pressure plate. Well, there weren't any. What I do see is the throw-out bearing, the fingers of the pressure plate, and a number of hex head bolts that attach the starter ring to the pressure plate. It seems to me that if the ring is attached to the pressure plate, I can't remove til later on in the disassembly, as I need some method of stopping the engine from turning over.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The bolts go through the ring gear then through the pressure plat into the flywheel. Take them off and the ring gear and pressure plate come off together. It looks like you already took most of them off already just hold the engine the same way you did for the other bolts (big screwdriver against the engine stand bracket).

Tim
PCA E Stock #278
Old 10-04-2004, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
John, I got that same set up on my engine, which is a 72/73.5 hybrid.

Problem I have is the ring gear is machining the case of the transmission. I was told that the transmission is a rebuilt 72, but as with most transmissions the serial no. is ground off. What's going on?

jakev, you can remove the clutch now if you want. What I did is use the engine mount as a lock for the crank. Put the stud on the lower right in your picture through one hole in the cross-member and put then but a bolt through another hole in the cross-member to the crank. Works like a charm--no special tool required.

'68 911 Ossi Blue coupe
Old 10-04-2004, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks to all for the advice. I took a closer look and I saw how it is all attached. So, the clutch is out, and I've attached the starter ring to the flywheel.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: