Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thumbs down Oh no! End of rebuild already? I think a cylinder has a gouge in it

A cylinder after washing shows a small but clearly visible undulating mark inside it. Can see it and feel it with fingers, is this history? What happens to the rest of the cylinders and pistons if this one needs (if it can be possbile to repair) repair?

This cylinder for my 1969 E, I can't find it listed anywhere...... And I only need one.

This is very discouraging, as all the parts are ready to go.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If its not too deep it should hone out.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 350HP930
If its not too deep it should hone out.
To avoid contact with gasoline/petro, I dismanteled the entire engine with chemical gloves, every nut and bolt I thought initially what I was seeing and feeling was mostly a stain, as another cylinder has a similar color stain, but is smooth as silk.

Combined with the above, most of my attention was on the broken pistons and #2 head. So I never thought to actually run bare fingers totally through the inside of the cylinder wall.

The best way I can describe the damage is it's like a "flaking surface chipping"

What kind of honing can repair such, and thus do the other cylinders have to follow suite? Be a real shame as the others are smooth and still have hatch.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
GAFB

Re: Oh no! End of rebuild already? I think a cylinder has a gouge in it

Quote:
Originally posted by H.G.P.
All the parts are ready to go.
What do you mean by that? Last I checked you needed to replace several pistons and cylinders and have your case and other parts measured. Is all that done? Did you get a qualified shop to examine your case, most importantly? Are you ever going to get over yourself and post (real) name and location?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Re: Re: Oh no! End of rebuild already? I think a cylinder has a gouge in it

Quote:
Originally posted by dtw
What do you mean by that? Last I checked you needed to replace several pistons and cylinders and have your case and other parts measured. Is all that done? Did you get a qualified shop to examine your case, most importantly? Are you ever going to get over yourself and post (real) name and location?
I'll try to answer:

1. 2 semi-new OEM pistons..Mahle, in keeping with the history of the car.

2, New/rebuilt heads with all new valves/springs/studs! They are fantastic. Also in keeping with the originality of the car.

Last edited by H.G.P.; 12-01-2004 at 08:59 PM..
Old 12-01-2004, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: