Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
RSR rocker shaft seals

Is it possible to install these without removing the rockers(while engine is still in car)? Mine seem to be leaking on a few cylinders.

Currently Porsche-less.....
Old 12-05-2004, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

No.
You will need to take care of how well you install them. If they do not seat properly you can cut them when reinstalling them. Take them out, clean shaft,install seal and then install shaft.
https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/

Last edited by BURN-BROS; 12-05-2004 at 11:50 AM..
Old 12-05-2004, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
dumb question, as I look through BA's book I find the answer. chit, I was hoping to avoid a rebuild right now..thanks for the hint about reinstalling.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Hmmm, semi-incorrect answers here. You can indeed remove all of the rockers and reinstall them with the engine in the car. You just need to have the right sized tools to do it. The procedure is in the Engine Rebuild book, and applies whether or not the engine is in the car or out...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 12-05-2004, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Semi-incorrect? Don asked if he could do it without removing rockers. I guess you could poke one side out then the other, but such a confined space begs for mistakes.

Don, I didn't clarify about the engine in the car which I think Wayne was referring to. You do know that there is no rebuild to do right?
Old 12-05-2004, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Semi-unclear then...

Yes, you can add these seals to your rockers if they are leaking with the engine in the car. I would recommend removing the heat exchangers first...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Old 12-05-2004, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Burn- yes, but if I had to remove the heads I was going to bump up my full rebuild. My question was not clear, what I meant was can the seals be added without removing the heads from the car. Temporary cloudy moment..sorry. I want to get as much as I can "while I'm in there" and am kinda jumping around to diff. ideas.
Wayne-ordered today...fast turnaround on my order the other day BTW Thanks!

Old 12-05-2004, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Just to be 100% clear. Here is the procedure:

- Jack up car
- Remove heat exchangers
- Remove lower valve covers
- Loosen up nuts that retain the rocker shafts
- Carefully tap / slide out
- Install seals
- Tap back into place
- Reinstall heat exchangers and valve covers

One note - you may just be able to get away with tightening the shafts. Actually, I recommend not tightening them too much during the rebuild, and then going back and retightening them if they happen to leak.

-Wayne

Old 12-05-2004, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Wayne comes thru again.

Don, keep us posted.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne, I think 18Nm is standard, torque value up to 25Nm on the shafts if leaking right? I don't have enough room to be comfortable replacing the seals without an engine drop. Hopefully tightening them will work.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by dweymer
Wayne, I think 18Nm is standard, torque value up to 25Nm on the shafts if leaking right? I don't have enough room to be comfortable replacing the seals without an engine drop. Hopefully tightening them will work.
You're not going to be able to get a torque wrench in there anyways. If I were you, I would identify which ones were leaking and install the seals only in those. Leave the others alone if they are dry...

-Wayne

Old 12-06-2004, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
It looks like 2,3,6 I will play with it tomorrow, thanks for the help.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: