Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Is there any risk my case half letting it "hang" on a stand for extended period?

s there any risk to my case half letting it "hang" on an engine stand for an extended period?

Any stress to the case?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2004, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Re: Is there any risk my case half letting it "hang" on a stand for extended period?

Quote:
Originally posted by H.G.P.
s there any risk to my case half letting it "hang" on an engine stand for an extended period?

Any stress to the case?

Thanks
Think of the forces a case half sees when in service. I highly doubt that one G on a light case half will get even close. It's like the belief that cranks bend when you lay them on their side. It doesn't make sense ...

The cranks stay cleaner, standing up, but your case half is probably best of with a bag over it on the stand.

Cheers, George
Old 12-13-2004, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Think of what loading stresses the case sees in a sitting car where the entire engine and tranny assembly is only supported from the pully and shift coupler end.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

OK
Old 12-14-2004, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Re: Is there any risk my case half letting it "hang" on a stand for extended period?

Quote:
Originally posted by H.G.P.

Any stress to the case?

Thanks
I let a 1972 Targa "hang" in my garage for a while. 7 years later it's still hanging, waiting on a motor. I say it's very risky, but not to the case, just to getting it done........
1972 911T Targa now with a good 2.7
1990 Miata (cheap 'n easy)
1993 C1500 Silverado (parts getter)
Old 12-14-2004, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

If you are concerned, rotate the stand so that it is facing upwards, as it would in the car. The moment of inertia of the case geometry makes it much stiffer in this direction.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 12-15-2004, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
If you are concerned, rotate the stand so that it is facing upwards, as it would in the car. The moment of inertia of the case geometry makes it much stiffer in this direction.

-Wayne
OK. thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: