Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sammy - your too kind, I will pm you if I end up trying to do it my self.

dd74, great option! I had not thaugh of that, however I think I found some very reputable leads of folks that could do it locally, I will look in to your sugestion if I have to go with plan B
A jewel in the rough
2000 Grand Cherokee
Family Wagon with Jewels on board
Old 01-23-2005, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Contact me off line and I can give you a copy of the Factory workshop manual if you want to read through it and see if this is something you want to tackle on your own. It is not that hard, just requires a little planning, patience and the wisdom of the knowledgable people on this board. Contact me anytime off line and I will help where ever I can.

Pacwestperformance@telus.net

Cheers, Jeff
Old 01-23-2005, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Ralph - your PM box is full
A jewel in the rough
2000 Grand Cherokee
Family Wagon with Jewels on board
Old 01-24-2005, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by bigrubberjeep
Ralph - your PM box is full
sorry, cleaned it out. PM'd you back. Send an email to the address' I gave you. Steve just called me and I think the three of us should have a pow-wow.

Ralph

P.S. - It's really tough for Steve and I to figure out an estimate for you at this point because we haven't seen the motor and are just basing on what you have told us. I think the best way is to do a straight labor quote for complete diassembly and reassembly and then let you source the parts. I can help you there as well. If you want to help with the assembly and take pictures, I'm sure that can be arranged as well.

I'll send you my excel file and phone number tonight and you can take a look and call me. You don't need to do nearly as much as I did for the 3.5L, the biggest expense is going to be new pistons & cylinders (if you need new 95's or if you want to go to 98's) and the machine work to rework the heads, rods, crank, rocker arms, etc. The standard rebuild parts aren't very expensive, it's the performance parts and "upgrades" that make the costs increase so dramatically.

Since you are working on a tight budget, I would do a standard 3.2L rebuild with new head studs, rod bolts, upgraded cams, upgraded valve springs, extrude honed plenums, pre-muffler, sport muffler and Steve Wong chip. You'll get a decent power gain over the stock 3.2L with the proper updates that should get you another 100K easily. Ollie's can do all of the machine work and they have their own phosphorous bronze guides that will far exceed the original factory units. You may or may not need new valves, you won't know for sure until the heads are disassembled.

My excel spreadsheet lists all of the Porsche part numbers for the various parts needed or at least inspected for a 3.2L rebuild, you can just plug in your parts cost from Pelican or whomever you are going to source them from to get you an idea where you are at.

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)

Last edited by Carrera3.5L; 01-24-2005 at 03:18 PM..
Old 01-24-2005, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: