Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Broken Piston Options

One of my pistons is broken. I have my engine disassembled and last night after removal of P & C a piece of the skirt on one of my pistons basically came off in my hand. It appears to have broken during disassembly but I dont recall any incident. That being said what are my options, My engine is a stock 3.0 with Nikisil. The heads will be reworked and I have spoken with camgrinder about regrinding my cams to 964 specs. I also have a set of SSIs but no other mods are planned. This was obviously not planned for so I'm looking for options. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-03-2005, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Call people like Henry Schmidt or others on the board who do lots of rebuilds and may stock individual used pistons. You'll want to tell them what size and weight group the piston is in (you can check this by looking at the markings on the top of the piston) along with the CR. You should be able to find a close match with in-spec lands pretty easily.

You may also use this as an excuse to get some JE pistons to bump your CR, especially if your current pistons are 8.5:1. So, figure $100 for a single piston, or $800 for a set of JEs.

c
Old 03-03-2005, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

engine builder's supply should be able to hook you up with a single piston.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I bought 3 used pistons from Parts Heaven, $50 a pop. www.partsheaven.com , they shipped next day air across the country to me so I could keep going on my fix.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: